Anti-feminist Mailbag: Whoremonger Edition

It’s been a little while since we shared some of our daily dose of anti-feminist upchuck, so I thought I’d throw a few your way.
The first is just an inquiry, really:

How goes the victim industry? Expressed lots of seething hatred and rage about males lately?

Thanks for asking, pal. The victim industry is booming thanks to the even more profligate perpetrator industry. If only we could figure out your Gobstopper recipe and take you down.
Another gem:

I read your article on the Stud/Slut theory. I find it to be a little flawed. I’m a male, and if there’s a “male slut” we call him a “manwhore”. Maybe you should look across the spectrum because religious individuals, such as Christians, don’t split hairs with gender. If you’re promiscuous you’re a whoremonger. There ya go.

Oh, that article? Yeah, we were hoping that you would break it down for us mister man. No doubt the answer to double standards is just to ostracize everyone’s sexuality. Guilt and shame always make for such great sex.
And this one comes from my own personal treasure trove of hate mail:

What did you major in, fisting?

I thought it was generous of this fella (who by the by, turns out to be a former candidate for Seattle city council) to believe I have the capacity to triple major–political science and sociology just weren’t enough for this sexual deviant. I got a summa cum laude in…okay, I’ll stop there. Too. many. jokes.

1. DeafBrownTrash
    Posted March 2, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

ok… for the 2nd hate comment– there’s the problem RIGHT THERE. The idiot who wrote that said that promiscuous males are called “man-whores.”
    sorry, buddy, but you just proved our point here. Why can’t a promiscuous male just be called a WHORE and not a “man-whore”? Because only women can be called WHORES, right?*
    *disclaimer– I’m not encouraging the name-calling toward any promiscuous people, female or male.

2. VickyinSeattle
    Posted March 2, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Wow, Courtney, could you tell me who this former candidate for Seattle City Council is?
    As you can tell by my user name, I live in Seattle. I also work on local policymaking. Right now, my guess is Joe Swaja, who had a DV charge against him.

3. Comrade Kevin
    Posted March 2, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Oh, we don’t split hairs with gender, eh? At which point did he decide to speak for all of us?

4. MishaKitty
    Posted March 2, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

I totally realized that too DeafBrownTrash. I was reading the comment and was like “Notice that gender qualifier in there buddy? Doesn’t happen with the female whores, does it?”
    But again, as you said, not encouraging any sort of name-calling but just pointing out why his logic is even more flawed regardless.

5. cand86
    Posted March 2, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Oh my gosh, I would so major in fisting if that was a real option.

6. bifemmefatale
    Posted March 2, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

Letter writer #2 isn’t even grammatically correct. “-monger” means “seller”, as in fishmonger, cheesemonger, etc., so a whoremonger is a pimp or madam, not a promiscuous person.

7. stabbygail
    Posted March 2, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

I’m really sad that it’s too late for me to switch majors to fisting. It’s at least as useful as a degree in literature!

8. tooimpurenangel
    Posted March 2, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Mr. Manwhore kind of stuck his foot in his mouth there, huh?
    It’s the James Bond Syndrome all over again.

9. borrow_tunnel
    Posted March 2, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Yes, do tell! Why protect his anonymity?

10. anteup
    Posted March 2, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Actually, I think most of us majored in Ball Busting and MINORED in fisting.

11. VT Idealist
    Posted March 2, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

No, no, not fisting. I have a PhD in horribleness!

12. asseenontv
    Posted March 2, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

That’s just ridiculous. You almost always need a Master’s in fisting. And most undergrad programs do barely anything to prepare you for your Master’s.

13. allegra
    Posted March 2, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

Hehe. At least they made me laugh by causing us to have blog post headings like “______: Whoremonger Edition.” How about … whoremongrel? Whoremageddon?
    I’ve got so much whoremongering to do when I’m done with this paper. Ugh.

14. Elizabeth
    Posted March 2, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

I know it’s awful to receive all this hate mail, but I’m glad you publish some of it from time to time. It helps remind us that feminist blogging isn’t as easy as it looks. ;-)
    I expected to receive similar crap after starting a blog about menstruation. So far it hasn’t been a problem, although we do get some trolling in the comments – especially when we’ve written critiques of SNL’s “Classic ESPN Women’s Sports” skits. (It continues to amaze me how popular those little snippets of misogyny are – our blog receives a couple dozen search hits for them every day.)

15. leeraloo
    Posted March 2, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

Interestingly enough, a (female) friend used the word “whore” in my presence the other day, and I gave her the usual talk about how the word “whore” isn’t exactly fair. I topped it off by asking how she would refer to a man who was sexually promiscuous, and she said she’d call him a “man-whore.” I really couldn’t think of a response then, because I was a little gobsmacked.
    But I just hope this isn’t becoming some sort of prevalent attitude, “We can use the word ‘whore’ now because there’s totally a male equivalent! So it’s fair!”

16. konkonsn
    Posted March 2, 2010 at 11:09 pm | Permalink

“If only we could figure out your Gobstopper recipe and take you down.”
    Died laughing.

17. dawn_of_the_bread
    Posted March 3, 2010 at 5:22 am | Permalink

“What did you major in, fisting?”
    I thought that was pretty funny actually…