Breaking: Margaret Thatcher, Britain’s first female prime minister, passes away

gty_1990_margaret_thatcher_80633979_ll_121221_wg

Baroness Margaret Thatcher, the original “Iron Lady,” died of a stroke Monday. She was 87 years old.

Thatcher, a staunch conservative, made history as the first female prime minister of Britain, elected to the position in 1975 after famously stating, while serving as education secretary: ”I don’t think there will be a woman prime minister in my lifetime.” She served as prime minister for nearly 12 years. Thatcher was the first modern female leader of a major Western nation and is hailed as a woman who “changed the world.

Her attitude: “I fight on. I fight to win.”

Thatcher is survived by her two children, Mark and Carol Thatcher.

Image via Getty.

1. Posted April 8, 2013 at 10:55 am | Permalink

While I wish her family peace and appreciate her breaking the “glass ceiling” of Prime Minister, it’s important to note that former PM Thatcher also:

* Deliberately provoked a war under false pretenses that cost thousands of lives. It’s a little known fact that Britain has now lost as many Falklands veterans to suicide as it lost in the fighting itself.

* Deliberately drove Britain into recession to destroy the unions and to “prove” her absurd Reagan-like economic policies.

* Sold off national assets and then used the money not for the benefit of the country but to line the pockets of political supporters.

* Practiced the politics of authoritarianism, populism, xenophobia, nationalism, and class division, which is NOT feminist at all.

* Kicked away the ladder for those below her, having fewer women in her cabinets than any prime minister in modern history.

* Before she became prime minister, her defining act in government was to take away the glass of free milk that was provided to every primary school child in order to ensure that even the poorest child of the least competent parents was getting a nutritional breakfast. This act earned her the nickname of “Thatcher the Snatcher”.

2. Posted April 8, 2013 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Just so we’re clear, this the same Margaret Thatcher who also claimed to owe nothing to women’s lib and once said this: “The feminists hate me, don’t they? And I don’t blame them. For I hate feminism. It is poison.” Thatcher was no ally to any of us.

3. Posted April 8, 2013 at 11:02 am | Permalink

No comments on her political legacy?

• Posted April 8, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Also, here are some Thatcher quotes I found that were maybe worth including in your article, to give a better idea of what kind of person we’re talking about here:

“The battle for women’s rights has largely been won. The days when they were demanded and discussed in strident tones should be gone forever. I hate those strident tones we hear from some Women’s Libbers.”

4. Posted April 8, 2013 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

I certainly do not celebrate Thatcher’s death, but let’s not pretend she was an ally.

5. Posted April 8, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

I was expecting a little more criticism of her, especially with regards her famous remark “I owe nothing to women’s lib. The feminists hate me, don’t they? And I don’t blame them. For I hate feminism. It is poison.”

Or that she despised the working class. That she opposed the sanctions against apartheid South Africa, destroyed the lives of her own people in the north of England, how she treated the hunger strikers in Ireland in the 80′s, or that she supported Pinochet.

I usually love feministing for its politics, so I’m surprised this article isn’t saying a word about the terrible damage Thatcher did to working class families and women in her own country (never mind everything else she did).