Quote of the Day: Akin said abortions are given “to women who are not actually pregnant”

This summer, when Rep. Todd Akin expressed his belief that a woman cannot get pregnant from “legitimate rape” because “the female body has ways to shut that whole thing down,” it seemed unlikely that anyone could top such a stunning display of ignorance about how women, their bodies, and pregnancy works. And yet! Here’s Todd Akin in 2008 revealing that he’s a bit iffy on how an abortion works too. Video via ThinkProgress:

Come again, Todd?

“You find that along with the culture of death go all kinds of other lawbreaking. The not following good sanitary procedure, giving abortions to women who are not actually pregnant, cheating on taxes, all these kinds of things. The misuse of anesthetics so that people die or almost die. All of these things are common practice, and all that information is available for America.”

This sounds ridiculous because, well, I don’t think I need to explain that. But as Robin Marty notes, the fear of a greedy abortion industry performing “abortions” on non-pregnant women is actually a common trope for the anti-choice movement. So for the record, I am also opposed to abortions for non-pregnant women. They’re expensive and uncomfortable and, um, unnecessary. I am pro-life except in cases of pregnancy. And here we thought common ground in the abortion wars was becoming impossible!

In other news, Akin, who still believes he is qualified to be a US representative, is currently up by one point in the polls against his “unladylike” opponent Claire McCaskill.

1. Posted October 3, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

I. Just. WHAT. Is he actually insane?

2. Posted October 3, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Does Todd Akin think that abortions are fun or something? Because that’s the only way that it’s possible for him to think that abortions are provided to women who aren’t pregnant.

Either that or maybe he’s making an extremely misguided and poorly articulated claim that abortion providers are fraudulently performing “abortions” on non-pregnant women for the insurance / taxpayer dollars. Or something equally conspiracy theoryish…

Who knows?

3. Posted October 3, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Once again he illustrates the utter ludicrousness (and danger) of letting someone who knows nothing about women’s bodies legislate them.

4. Posted October 3, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

I like 2:27 when he specifies what men will say about abortion one day.

5. Posted October 3, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Every time I watch a video of Rep. Akin I feel my blood begin to boil. His comments are erroneous, insensitive, and ludicrous. If these are the words he says in House of Representatives, I can’t even imagine what he holds back.

6. Posted October 9, 2012 at 11:15 am | Permalink

I am seriously still wondering how this man is still allowed to talk in public, and how he is still allowed to have his opinion broadcasted within the media. He seems to be a very uninformed and uneducated man; his opinion and “theories” on the woman body make no sense. He should not be allowed to publicly speak, because there are people that actually listen to this and believe that what he is saying is true. He is hurtful to woman kind.