Bridesmaids becomes top earning R-rated female comedy.

There were conflicting opinions about this year’s gal pal hit Bridesmaids and while I didn’t think it was perfect, I thought it was pretty damn clever and groundbreaking. Well, apparently, the American public agrees as Bridesmaids is now the top rated female comedy ever surpassing Sex and the City and is also Judd Apatow’s highest grossing film outshining Taladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby–omg it’s a real life funny movie now, not just for the girls! This could either be because fart and poop jokes are funny irrespective of gender or (gasp) the world is changing and women as complex humans is going to become an ongoing theme in movies and television (or a little of both).

For those of you that saw it, what did you think of the movie?

Related:

Bridesmaids wins

Hump day humor: Kristin Wiig and Maya Rudolph giggle about farts.

Feministing Rom Com Review: Sex and the City 2

1. Posted July 5, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

I thought it was one of the funniest movies I’ve seen in a long time. It was laugh-out-loud hilarious. Every single person I was with was utterly hysterical at certain parts.

Sometimes I find the whole feminist analysis exhausting. I’m not one to say “it’s just a movie,” because, well, there’s no such thing. But there seems to be so much outcry that it can’t really be a feminist movie because it’s about a wedding, or because it showcases female rivalry, or because it has toilet humour. But honestly? Why can’t a feminist movie have toilet humour? Why can’t a feminist movie be about a wedding? Seriously….why? And furthermore, why does it have to be feminist? Can’t it be a movie about women without all of us demanding some political relevance?

• Posted July 5, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

I’m with you. I found it good, funny, well-written fun.

2. Posted July 5, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

I thought it was hilarious. Kristen Wiig was, as usual, a riot. Compared to the Hangover Part 2, this was Citizen Kane. I hope this spawns a new trend in comedies for these ladies.

3. Posted July 5, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

This is great. Kristen Wiig – and the cast as a whole- deserves it. My roommate and I saw it together and could not get over how funny it was.

4. Posted July 5, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

I had a problem with this flick– I didn’t like how the “curvy” girl was most often used as the comedic element– her behavior, clothing, etc.. was so often unappealing and designed to get a laugh, while the skinny girls looked on in horror. It really bothered me.

• Posted July 5, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

I kind of thought she was the Ladette of the group, the tomboy. Also it was nice to see Melissa McCarthy in a crazier and funnier role than when she was in “Life as We Know It” which was a walking fat joke to me.
      To me it was a bunch of girlie girls getting grossed out by the tomboy’s antics.

• Posted July 6, 2011 at 1:07 am | Permalink

McCarthy’s role went beyond the tomboy. Her bodily functions, grace, and personality were portrayed as being functions of her size, which is unquestionably a size-ist portrayal.

Regardless, she was still the funniest part of the movie, without question. Her comedic timing, line delivery, and game-ness for doing the crazy stuff made her stand out in an otherwise mediocre flick as the best part.

• Posted July 6, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

I bet, like a 50 years later, she’ll be hailed as the Great Comedian of the early 21st century, though with debate on who’d be the Great Comedian of this time. But won’t it be a riveting debate? If we’re all alive at that time. I’m planning to see it again with my friend when it comes to the Dollar Theater

5. Posted July 5, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

I didn’t think it was that funny and the gross out humor scenes that were funny were very minimal. It ended up being more of a romantic comedy than expected. It was great that the importance and depth of female friendships was shown, but ultimately it did seem to be about Wiig’s character getting a man. I agree with the above post that Melissa McCarthy’s character was problematic. However, I do think it was a good step forward for mainstream cinema, but would not classify it as feminist. We need to be critical of the images we consume, but this doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy.

6. Posted July 5, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

I wrote a review for anyone who is interested.

I liked it enough to stick with it, despite its length. I liked a lot of it, especially in retrospect. It gave me things to think about. That’s because I tended to focus on the semi-serious parts, not a poo jokes. It wasn’t “just for fun.” It seemed to want to be more than that, and I think sometimes it succeeded. I loved the genuine interaction among the women, especially between Annie (Kristin Wiig) and Lillian (the bride). I didn’t know how to take the character of Megan. I think that part is problematic.

Maybe it was a breakthrough, and I’m glad for that, but I think there will be much better women-centred movies to come. If this one led the way, then all the better.

7. Posted July 5, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

What makes a movie a “female comedy”?

8. Posted July 5, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

OK, there’s sizeism in this movie. That’s a word, isn’t it…? I was kind of wondering what kinds of sexist or otherwise dumb things to expect. Yeah, I hate that whole fat-women-are so-funny shit. Kinda played out, don’t y’all think? Since I’ve gathered that Green Lantern is shit, I think I will go see this movie with at least one guy friend. Money better spent. :) And, we do love to laugh… :3

9. Posted July 6, 2011 at 12:37 am | Permalink

while I greatly enjoyed the poop scene, esp with the bride stopping in the middle of the street…. (LOL)

there was altogether wayyyyyyy too much anti-fat humor for me to stomach. like, it was horribly, horribly excessive. hard to keep watching excessive. couldn’t give it a break excessive.

and I find it depressing that some commenters on here didn’t even see that at all (or had no problem with it). that’s a problem guys. sizism is a feminist issue. and that movie’s humor was maybe half focused on anti-fat humor. seriously. WTF.

did I like the movie? some of it. but much of it I found painful to watch.

10. Posted July 6, 2011 at 6:51 am | Permalink

I thought it was funny. Previously, I’ve not found Kristen Wiig funny on SNL, but have always suspected that was more about SNL and not indicative of her talent- I was happy that was correct. I’m hoping that her ending up with the cop is setting up a nice premise for a sequel, with her getting married and having her own bridesmaids…and as long as I’m dreaming, the sequel is as funny as the first one.

11. Posted July 6, 2011 at 9:10 am | Permalink

I wish I hadn’t listened to all the hype about this movie, because I expected ground-breaking, and what I got was dull and unoriginal. ‘Ground-breaking’? Having all-female leads in a comedy movie is indeed, and a massive fuck you to people who spout that old line ‘women just aren’t funny.’ But to me, this wasn’t an out-and-out comedy. It didn’t know what it wanted to be.
    It got about 3 decent laughs out of me. I was severly annoyed by the Megan character, as other people have commented on above. I want a genuinely ground-breaking female comedy, in which the central concern of the protagonist is not getting a man, or figuring out why she can;t hold down a man, or worrying about her best friends new life with her man…PLEASE!

12. Posted July 6, 2011 at 10:00 am | Permalink

I really enjoyed Bridesmaids.

Of course there are criticisms you can make but I honestly am not sure it’s possible to make a movie where you can’t find *something* wrong from a feminist point of view, especially if the movie is meant to take place in our current world/reality.

13. Posted July 6, 2011 at 10:43 am | Permalink

I hate to be the party pooper but really? I thought that this film had a small smattering of funny moments – but overall boo! The screenplay was drawn out and as far as I was concerned the funniest moments were the first 5 minutes. About a year ago I read an argument on Salon.com that Twilight had a feminist aspect: proof that teen girls were viable regarding market share. I think that is the same argument that is getting made here – this movie wasn’t just politically incorrect with regards to fatness; it underscores all kinds negative ideas about women – overly emotional, insanely competitive and jealous, style not substance focused, obsessed by relationships etc. I have often found Kristin Wiig humorous – she was great in Whip it for example – but this was BAD.

Gillian Love is SO right! I also look forward to a “a genuinely ground-breaking female comedy!”

• Posted July 6, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Great reminder. What about Whip It? Why was Bridesmaids a feminist breakthrough movie but not Whip It, which was not just written by a woman but directed by a woman as well? As one commenter noted, Bridesmaids ends up at least partially a RomCom. Even though there is a romantic interest in Whip It, that’s never the point. The point is Bliss breaking through personally and in fact getting past her need to impress a guy.

I saw both in a theatre. Guess on which movie I felt my money was better spent.