Hump day humor: Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph giggle about farts

Did you love Bridesmaids? I did. Courtney did. Some other feminists didn’t. But that’s ok, because I think we can all agree that Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph are the best, right? Right.

And look! Here they are in a French interview laughing until they cry while making jokes about farts together. Good stuff starts about 2.5 minutes in.

Finally proof that gross-out humor knows no gender! And also that watching other people crack up will always makes you smile. Happy Hump Day!

Via Jezebel.

1. Posted June 8, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

From the first time that I saw a billboard for this movie and saw that one of the women was, oh my gosh, fat, I immediately knew that I would not go see it, as I immediately assumed I would have to endure fat jokes and a stereotypical character who perpetuated harmful myths and generalizations about fat women. I have since heard from people on “both sides” about how this character was portrayed, and I can’t give an opinion because I haven’t seen the movie. I just realize that it is a statement in and of itself that as soon as I saw a “big box office” movie with a fat female character, I immediately shoved it into the offensive category without knowing the plot, or who wrote/directed it, etc. On a related note, I think it is also weird that on some of the print ads, McCarthy looks photoshopped to be thinner.

2. Posted June 8, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

This is really great!

3. Posted June 8, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

Best interview I have ever seen! Especially after they edited in the fart noises at the end. I think I need to see Bridesmaids now!

Thank you for posting this video!

4. Posted June 8, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

I have to admit, I’m a little disappointed in this critique. Was it funny? Yes, definitely. But I think there needs to be some discussion about some really pseudo feminist themes in the film. Most notably, Melissa McCarthy’s character Megan. There was a lot of fat phobia placed on this character and a lot of jokes made at her expense: she’s fat, she’s gross, she’s masculine. She was basically a fat butch lesbian joke who was not a lesbian anyway. Her sexuality in general was a joke. It’s funny because she’s kind of gay and fat and gross. I found the way they dealt with this character repulsive and made it hard for me to find it acceptable, even in it’s redeeming moments.

• Posted June 10, 2011 at 11:58 am | Permalink

“…she’s fat, she’s gross, she’s masculine. She was basically a fat butch lesbian joke who was not a lesbian anyway.”

I’m sorry, but McCarthy was MY FAVORITE. This is coming from a fat girl. This is also coming from a fat girl with a friend who pretty much fits your description, and who I kept thinking of every time McCarthy was on the screen. I LOVE that she wasn’t lesbian because (surprise!) not all butch/masculine women are lesbians. I really can’t think of one “fat joke” made in the movie. Really. No one made cracks about her size or weight, or really even her masculinity. I think what was funny, or at least what I found to be funny about her, was her amazing self confidence and unapologetic character. *spoilers* She was funny because she was shitting in a sink. She was funny because she was shamelessly flirting with an air marshall. She was funny because she stole seven puppies from the wedding shower. Admittedly, I was a little worried there would be a lot of fat and butch jokes made about her, but I feel like she ended up being an incredibly empowering character, and a refreshing counter-act to the girly-girls seen in 99.99% of every other effing wedding movie.

5. Posted June 10, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

My little sister and I make fart/poop/raunchy jokes all the time, and after we saw Bridesmaids together we said “That was a movie about us.” It was one of the best realizations ever. We then proceeded to make dirty jokes and cuss like sailors, our normal pandering, all the way home.

6. Posted June 11, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

I don’t recall any blatant jokes at the expense of this character, but I felt there was a fair amount of implied jokes. What comes most specifically to mind is the part where she says something like “I don’t bloat” which had implied humor because she’s fat. Whereas I don’t think her character didn’t have any important qualities (it was great to see a cast of women, almost none of which fit the Hollywood standard for beauty), but I felt there were more positive ways they could have represented her character.