Florida immigration bill would exempt white immigrants

snyderI almost could not believe my eyes when I read this at Salon:

Florida Republican state legislator William Snyder has proposed a great new immigration law for his state, modeled on that one in Arizona. But this one — which GOP gubernatorial candidate Rick Scott supports, of course — has a special twist: White people are exempt!

The more articulate/acceptable-to-the-mainstream supporters of the Arizona law usually point out that the law forbids police from racial profiling. The proposed Florida bill doesn’t really bother pretending.

That’s right. On page three of the bill (see it here) very similar to Arizona’s anti-immigration bill, an amendment states that if an officer has suspicions over a person’s immigration status, that person will be “presumed to be from the United States” if they provide a “Canadian passport” or from any other “visa waiver country.” The Miami New Times points out that “other than four Asian nations, all 32 other countries are in Western Europe, from France to Germany to Luxembourg.”

While it’s difficult to muster up the strength to write about this unbelievable bill without an incoherent bevy of potty-mouth words, one thing that we can get out of this is exactly how revealing it is of the blatant racism that’s behind these anti-immigration efforts. It’s also fitting how Snyder used to be a police officer himself in Miami (is someone trying to make old cop fantasies come true?). Either way, I hope this gets the attention and opposition it needs to kill this bill — and immediately.

1. Posted October 21, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

They came and shown their true colors!

2. Posted October 21, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Big surprise.

3. Posted October 22, 2010 at 12:02 am | Permalink

While I don’t doubt there’s racist intent here, they _are_ just piggybacking off of federal law: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_Waiver_Program .

4. Posted October 22, 2010 at 2:31 am | Permalink

First off, I want to agree 100% with the racist intent behind the proposal. However, I feel like this blog post perpetuates the invisibility of Europeans of color. There are also millions of white people who are citizens of non-waiver countries.

5. Posted October 22, 2010 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Are you saying everyone from those countries is white???

Your title seems pretty sensesational. When I read the details I don’t really see a problem with this. We already let people from those countries into the US without needing any special paperwork, etc. They can come and go fairly easily just as Americans can go to their countries and do the same. But if I travel to say a Middle Eastern country – it’s not so easy. Isn’t the whole point of these VISA and country relationship agreements to make things easier for countries we trust and put more onus on those we do not?

I hate the law, but if you’re gonna have it, I see nothing wrong with this. It’s just following what happens when someone from one of those countries crosses the border into the US.

6. Posted October 26, 2010 at 12:27 am | Permalink

This bill is definitely racist, but it’s not like European’s haven’t been the exception for the past hundred years. I think it’s racist but also there’s a class element. Because a lot of European nations are more developed and thus the assumption is that their citizens are somehow better. I’m curious to know which four Asian countries are the exception. I bet Japan is definitely one of them.

7. Posted October 28, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

White people make up about 10% of the population of Mexico, and they’re the rich ones so they don’t want to come here anyways ’cause they’re living la vida loca in Mexico, cabron. Me, I like the lack of bureaucracy in this bill. It’d pretty damn obvious that all the illegals are non-Whites

“While it’s difficult to muster up the strength to write about this unbelievable bill without an incoherent bevy of potty-mouth words”

Liberals and Feminists have always reminded me of petulant screaming children due to their inability to argue things without getting indignant and spewing insults.