Fun with Feminist Flickr (reminiscing edition)

mommykillers.jpg
Ah, the March for Women’s Lives. Good times. And great poster.
Pic from big_annie.

1. bear
    Posted June 14, 2007 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Don’t you just love how they list Cheney first on the poster.

2. Jordan
    Posted June 14, 2007 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Wow, that poster makes a good point and is so true! Anti-choicers call us “baby killers”, but in truth anti-choicers should really be called “mommy killers” because their cruel anti-choice policies kill mothers. They would rather see a sick pregnant woman remain ill and die instead of having a life-saving abortion. And then who is left to raise her other living children? They’re so concerned with “saving the baby”, yet these morons have yet to realize that if the mother dies, then the fetus dies too!

3. era4allNOW
    Posted June 14, 2007 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Totally good memories! I have to say that experience was the most liberating experience of my life. Kudos for posting a great memory.
    Also, i recall we weren’t supposed to interact with the anti-choice protesters who showed up, but i couldn’t help myself ;) I wasn’t obscene, but yelled chants directly at them instead of out in the open air, and then would laugh at them hysterically. I had a good time, and my mom and sister kept laughing at what i was doing. good times.

4. Posted June 15, 2007 at 2:22 am | Permalink

Not always. There was actually a case in DC in the late 80s — I can’t think of the citation offhand, but Susan Faludi’s Backlash discusses it at length — in which a court ordered a hospital to withhold chemotherapy from a woman dying from bone cancer against her will, openly acknowledging that it would cause her death, in order to protect the foetus. The kicker is that the foetus they literally killed this woman for was stillborn.
    The DC Court of Appeals reversed it several months after the lower court’s order — and the patient — had been executed.

5. Posted June 15, 2007 at 2:30 am | Permalink

(I should note, just to be clear, that this woman was fully conscious and lucid at the time, so lucid, in fact, that she personally sent counsel to argue on her behalf when they finally gave her notice of the proceedings)

6. Jordan
    Posted June 15, 2007 at 9:16 am | Permalink

But that’s exactly my point! Didn’t the court realize that if this pregnant mother was denied chemotherapy and died from cancer, then their efforts to save the fetus would be futile? If a pregnant woman dies, then her fetus dies inside of her too. God, when will these morons understand this?? If you don’t save the mother first, then the fetus has no chance of survival! *bangs head on table*

7. Posted June 15, 2007 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

As I remember it, the doctors at the hospital that petitioned the court for the right to kill this woman in the interest of her foetus actually thought there might be a chance that the foetus might survive (it was far enough along to be potentially viable).
    The bigger issue to me is the underlying hierarchy of values here. Essentially, what people like this judge (and the hospital that filed the petition, and so many other people) are saying is that a foetus is so much more valuable than a living woman that even the off chance that it might survive justifies letting her die. The woman is so peripheral to their way of thinking that it’s OK to kill her even if, in all likelihood, the foetus isn’t going to make it.

8. Posted June 15, 2007 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

I remember hearing about that case & being sickened. What was worse was that people in my class, Politics of Sexuality, were defending it (Mostly guys). I don’t know who they expect to have sex with if they just view women as baby-pods.
    *Sighs* I wanted to go to the march so badly but I couldn’t. I fractured my pelvis skateboarding two days before the march & the doctors wouldn’t let me go.

9. Posted June 15, 2007 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Ah, but these same guys generallt tend to view women as universally sexually available, especially to choice specimens like themselves.
    And so it all works out in the end, doesn’t it?”