Beyond “Catfighting”: Creating Strategic Collaborations within Feminist Media.

This panel is addressing the question of how to build actual collaborations between different types of feminist media and organizations. How do we partner with feminist organizations and media as opposed to fighting or competing for readers?
Jessica is talking about how feminist blogs can be a model for collaboration since we all work together, link to each other, guest blog for each other etc. Despite a healthy competition there is still a sense of community.
Other panelists include Andi Zeisler co-founder and editorial/creative director at Bitch, Denisse Andrade from Manhatten Neighborhood Network and co-founder of the Grassroots Media Conference and Nancy Goldstein, director of Communication and Development for National Advocates for Pregnant Woman.
“We should fight this fight on all fronts.”
Even feminist media is caught up on the same stories. Why do we only hear certain stories, certain links etc? If all your research is done online there is the potential for missing local organizations that may not have strong web presences. Who has the entitlement to speak? How do we reach out to people that don’t have authority to speak?
The exciting project of building online communities through blogging and social networking technologies is slowly but surely being realized. The hope is that these connections will translate to real world connections between media and non-profit and community organizations.
Do you think that is happening?
Oh and granted we are all doing really amazing work but how the hell are we supposed to make any money???
And Vanessa and I are intently paying attention playing with my macbook cam

vanessaandme

1. april.rose
    Posted March 31, 2007 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Here’s a way to level the playing field of reporting.
    Why leave journalism to the professionals? Now we can all take part in what’s being called the real
    “first draft of history”.
    (P$ Word has it that AP and Reuters pay attention here.)

2. april.rose
    Posted March 31, 2007 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Have a look:
    Again, sorry. (I’m new.)

3. Posted March 31, 2007 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

“Jessica is talking about how feminist blogs can be a model for collaboration since we all work together, link to each other, guest blog for each other etc.”
    Except that this isn’t true and sets up a false sense of utopia. Case in point, I contacted Jessica in November about linking to my blog since I am linked to Feministing and, despite her promise to return the favor, I have yet to see a link to Feminist Review blog on Feministing. I even emailed her again a couple of months later to no avail. Now, I’m sure you’re all busy ladies, but don’t front like there are not hierarchies and cliques and mad issues in the feminist blog “community.” And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

4. Jessica
    Posted April 1, 2007 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

FeministReview–no offense, but there are a lot of blogs out there and we don’t link to everyone who links to us; that would be impossible. I’m sorry we didn’t get a chance to highlight your work, and I do remember emailing you to tell you I would check out your blog. But we get a ton of emails a day asking us for a blogroll add.
    A better way to get links from other blogs is to let them know about specific posts that we can direct our readers to, or if you’ve written about something that we’ve also covered–we can add it into our post. But simply expecting a link because we’re on your blogroll is not really fair.

5. Posted April 1, 2007 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

What is this, see who can give Jessica the most bullshit weekend? Hey, Valenti, I heard a channel somewhere in America ran ad for a Girls Gone Wild video last night. Why didn’t you post about that? Where’s the outrage? It’s not like you’ve ever been critical of them in the past, and I for one am sick of it.
    And I think I heard about a murder in New York that never got solved. But you wouldn’t know anything about that, now would ya, Valenti?

6. Posted April 1, 2007 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

Jessica, this is exactly the type of response I would expect to get from someone less interested in collaboration, and more interested in being defensive. Actually, Jessica, you said you WOULD link to us. And didn’t.
    I have also done the latter suggestion, to no avail as well. I’m not mad about it. I’m just pointing out the hypocrisy and half-truths in the assertions in this post and, no doubt, in the panel discussion you were a part of.
    We should all be doing a better job of working collaboratively. Part of that is not being so sensitive to criticism, trusting that it comes from a place of love and not one of distain when it comes from those on the same side of the fence. How can we work together if you’re not willing to hear me… and vice versa?

7. EG
    Posted April 1, 2007 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

FR, I read Jessica’s response as being in exactly the same tone as your preceding comment. Your comment was written in an accusatory tone; of course the response will be defensive. This is the second time I’ve seen Jessica described as sensitive for reacting to accusatory criticism in the way…people react to accusatory criticism (the other time was in that thread when the poster claimed that she didn’t realize that Jessica wouldn’t be more “thick-skinned” about criticism of her book). There are conciliatory ways of presenting criticism which elicit more conciliatory responses, but I didn’t see it here.

8. Posted April 1, 2007 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

So your defense of Jessica’s defensiveness is to say that I should be more diplomatic in my approach? These seem to me like two separate issues. Though I will certainly take into account your suggestion of increased diplomacy in future posts. This is a major critique that I have of electronic media, in general, is that you can’t always tell one’s tone from the written word.

9. Posted April 2, 2007 at 9:27 am | Permalink

That sounds like a great panel! Wish I could’ve been there…

10. Bloomberg
    Posted August 18, 2009 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

A mindset is the order within which people structure their worlds and how they make choices, both practical and idealistic, based on values, philosophy, traditions and aspirations. The mindset is our accustomed, convenient way of thinking and guide to decision-making. It not only determines how we act in our small local world, but also how we think and act on an everincreasingly encompassing stage. The mindset is the settled summary of our prejudices and priorities and the rationalizations we give them.
    A changed mindset is a rerationalization of a person’s behaviour; people like their behaviour to be coherent – at least to themselves. The crucial issue is how to get the urban professions to change their approach systematically – but not piece by piece.