On Wednesday, Obama announced that he is creating a task force to combat campus sexual violence. It’s not perfect — it’s pretty hetero, its focus is too carceral — but presidential commitment is also a big step, and I basically cried tears of happiness all day (and then ate chocolate cake). In his speech, Obama gave a major shout-out to student organizers, so I wanted to honor that by pointing out some of my favorite student-run anti-violence organizations and collectives on Twitter. Including my own. Sorry.
- SAFER Campus (@safercampus): Students Active For Ending Rape http://www.safercampus.org http://www.safercampus.org/blog http://www.tumblr.safercampus.org
- Know Your IX (@knowyourIX): Campaign to educate college students about their civil right under Title IX to campus free from sexual violence & harassment. Tweets by @azbrodsky & @danabolger
- It Happens Here (@ItHappensHereAC): Committed to ending sexual violence at @AmherstCollege and beyond. Tweets by @danabolger, @sonumd, and @knpatel91.
- End Rape on Campus (@endrapeoncampus): endrapeoncampus.org
- Sun Devils Against Sexual Assault (@sundevils_asa): Arizona State University students/alum against sexual violence.
Alexandra Brodsky spends too much time on the internet.