Why did TIME think this was a good idea?

TIME magazine cover featuring a suit-clad person dangling from the heel of a pantsuit clad leg.

Why, people? Why?

I mean, it’s not “Hey you guys have you noticed that Chris Christie is like a big fat elephant?” bad, but I’m pretty sure it marks the official starting point for the next two years of talking about Hillary in the same old bullshit, sexist tone: she’s scary, she’s pushy, she’s stepping on men – guys, she is LITERALLY STEPPING ON A MAN IN THIS PHOTO – and oh, her high heels and her pantsuits. It’s 2014, people. Sure would be nice if we could find a way to talk about women politicians without talking about their freaking shoes. I suspect Wendy Davis would appreciate our cooperation in this matter.

You want unstoppable Hillary? This is unstoppable Hillary. But this cover? This is just lazy bush league same old-same old sexism. Do better, TIME.

Avatar ImageChloe Angyal came out of the womb opinionated.

1. Posted January 16, 2014 at 10:01 am | Permalink

While I agree that ugh, I think he’s trying to cling onto her heel–not being stepped on. Like he can’t keep up and the only way to do so is by grasping the (feminized) heel of his rival.

The Outernet – Kickstart a documentary about Internet friendships

• Posted January 16, 2014 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Agreed. Unless she is doing a super committed backwards run…. She isn’t stepping on that guy.

2. Posted January 16, 2014 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Perhaps we should be happy that they didn’t print a photo of the legendary Hillary nutcracker?? UGH is right. This is the same old sexism. Get over it, Time.

3. Posted January 16, 2014 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

making a mountain out of a mole hill?

do you have an alternative cover? or are you just looking for a fight where there isnt one?

how about a picture of hilary with a crown on, she can be sitting upon a throne made of the bodies of men

4. Posted January 16, 2014 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

It looks to me like a guy trying to grab onto her to stop her, as the title of the article would indicate. And why is it that using an image that reflects how she dresses automatically becomes an sexist issue? That IS how she dresses. What else should the have used?

• Posted January 18, 2014 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

A picture of Hillary Clinton’s face, perhaps. Presumably the story is about her, after all. I haven’t read it though. I suppose it’s possible that the story is actually about the political strategy of a giant high heeled shoe named Hillary, but I doubt it.