Daily Feminist Cheat Sheet

#fuckcispeople is trending on Twitter. Read it.

The Ohio “heartbeat” bill to ban abortion after six weeks is back.

Dream Defenders leave capitol: “our work has grown too big for these halls.”

A NARAL intern went undercover at a crisis pregnancy center.

Six facts about Harriet Tubman that have nothing to do with Russell Simmons.

Keeping with the theme: six things to know as a queer freshman.

Letters from black men (including our own Mychal) in response to #blackpowerisforblackmen.

and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted August 16, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

It’s a big problem that feministing thinks that hashtag is is worth reading.

Feminism is for women (not just transwomen) and that hashtag is an excuse for misogyny.

2. Posted August 16, 2013 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

I’ve gotta say, I also disagree with the #fuckcispeople hashtag. It seems counter-productive to encourage further division between cis and trans people. I get why it’s used, but wouldn’t #fuckcisprivilege be better? The hate shouldn’t be of cis people, it should be of the privilege IMO. I mean, #fuckmen or #fuckheterosexuals would be pretty terrible ideas too, because it ignores the presence of all the allies, who are going to feel kinda pushed out of the conversation…

3. Posted August 16, 2013 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

You want cis people to listen, right after you tell them to fuck off ?
    Really ?
    This is where your communication is going ?
    I read the tweets and it seems contradictory to say to someone “fuck you! but oh listen to me i just want to be treated right…”
    Do you, yourself, even have the patience and understanding to listen to someone after they’ve cursed at you ?
    Why wouldn’t you reject what they’ve said after they’ve disrespected you ?
    This is just fucked up:
    You want cis people to read the tweets:
    “every cis person should read these tweets pronto”
    but then :
    “Seriously cis folks, just let trans folks who need to vent anger + pain on the ht #fuckcispeople do so. It’s not about you.”
    It’s not about cis people.. so you want cis people to lave you alone but you want us to read the tweets to understand but not be offended ?
    You don’t think that’s asking a hell of a lot ?

This goes against fundamental communication, which is based on mutual respect, and it’s ridiculous.

I love the trans community and I’m not offended by this but it’s just not going to get you what you want.
    Someone that will listen past the “fuck you” is someone who is already aware of your issues, the same way a friend would receive your angry words and understand the pain behind them.
    A stranger will not.

Oh, and then now the girl who claimed she started it is saying she started it because of this:

and of course:

….This will never get you what you want. I’m done. -_-…

4. Posted August 16, 2013 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

I read the comments and though I concur, must say LOL. Ladies, that’s how feminism treats / views men. It doesn’t feel good, does it? It doesn’t feel productive, is it?

• Posted August 17, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Sometimes, feminists can treat men like that and that is unfair, but on the whole the majority of feminists try not to hate on men, but male privilege. The vast majority of the female feminists I know not only recognise and respect male feminists and allies, but realise that they’re an essential part of the feminist movement. Like I said, a #fuckmen hashtag would be condemned pretty much instantly.

• Posted August 17, 2013 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

What the heck are you talking about? Comparing how cis-gendered people are being “mistreated” here, compared to how feminists “treat men” is the silliest thing I’ve ever heard. A lot of feminism is about getting rid of stereotypes and tropes and other horrible sexists beliefs that plague women (and men). And it’s about calling out when people (usually men) are sexist against women. Which happens a lot. So how is that “mistreating men”? How the hell is discussing misogyny in any way so-called “treating men badly”? And anyway, also comparing the “mistreatment of men” as equivalent to the mistreatment of women is likewise ridiculous. This is a society that still tells women we are “less than” and that men are the “superior” sex. And that women are just a “monolithic race” rather than individuals. When women deal with mistreatment, there is usually harassment, threats, abuse, our bodily autonomy is put into question, etc. and just all sorts of discrimination. Now how often does that happen to men? How often do men have to worry about being called a “slut” and shamed just because they like to have sex? How often are men threatened with rape just because they disagree with someone’s point of view? How often are men told that the government wants full control over your own body and what you do with it? Among MANY MANY other problems. Men are privileged, women are not. And on top of all of this, cis-gendered people are more privileged than trans people. So cis-people complaining about that hashtag, when your lives are considered gold compared to what trans-people have to go through, give me a break!!!

And what makes you think you know the gender of these other people commenting on here? You make it seem like these are all women? They could be men. And there are plenty of male feminists/ally’s anyway. And these commentators are most likely feminists themselves.

• Posted August 18, 2013 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

I actually agree with the arguments. I just thought it humorous because this is exactly how I feel on many occasions when entering feminist spaces. So much anger, I forgot that men are supposed to deny they have feelings. I shall try to remember my place.

“When women deal with mistreatment, there is usually harassment, threats, abuse, our bodily autonomy is put into question, etc. and just all sorts of discrimination. Now how often does that happen to men? ”

Let me link you to an article and maybe you’ll get the point.

Read the article and read the comment. The article is well balanced, but also makes no bones about who the primary perpetrators (women) and primary victims (boys) are then read the comment. The comment is dripping with rape apology. The commentor also shows ambivalent feelings. Having read other comments of her’s before, I would not categorize Denelian as a rape apologist. This may have been the first time she’s ever encountered an article where the abusers were overwhelmingly women. The fact that the victims were overwhelmingly male removed any gender neutrality. Of course, she felt picked on and reacted very badly.

“And what makes you think you know the gender of these other people commenting on here?”

Comment wasn’t directed at the commentors of the article. It was directed at the female members of the community. Very few male feminists would ever complain about mistreatment in feminist spaces. Hugo Shwyzer quit feminist space because he claimed he was abused by female feminists and I can see how that could be. Make a comment. Be accused of privilege. There was another male feminist who complained that women in feminism silenced men by pulling out the privilege card.

“And on top of all of this, cis-gendered people are more privileged than trans people. So cis-people complaining about that hashtag, when your lives are considered gold compared to what trans-people have to go through, give me a break!!! ”

At least you’re consistent.

As a guy who’s been on the receiving end of a lot of these articles / hashtags and the advise I would have given Denelian had the comments not been closed, if you hadn’t done it, they’re not talking about you. Take a deep breath. You’re not the person in the article. It’s not an attack on you. You’re not responsible for the acts of people just because they are the same gender.

• Posted August 20, 2013 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

I assumed he was talking about how a small but vocal minority of female feminists can treat our male allies. I think it can be hard to recognise that our male allies do have to do some major mental gear changes to accept that when feminists complain about men they don’t mean all men and they aren’t blaming the allies for what others of their gender are doing. I know I used to find it really hard to not assume I was being attacked in matters of racism etc, but I’m working on it.
        However, going back to the hashtag, if just careful wording can help to reduce the divisiveness that’s not asking much is it? I would expect LGBT people to recognise that wording definitely does matter, given how often we suffer from it- for example, something as simple as using the right gender pronoun for trans people can be pretty important, and tbh should be common courtesy anyway. I know it sucks to have to word things more carefully in order to avoid causing offence, but it’s not that much to ask and it helps more in the long run to not be divisive anyway.
        Although obviously cis people are privileged, that’s not their fault, and it’s a perfectly natural reaction to be angry if you feel you’re being blamed for something that’s not your fault. Hate the sin and not the sinner and all that. I just think that the only people who are going to listen to tweets etc with the #fuckcispeople hashtag are those who are listening anyway, and it may even drive some away. It’s just not good for the trans rights movement as a whole IMO.