Weekly Feminist Reader: Hoodies Up

Zimmerman-Trial-Prosecution-Rests-After-Victim-s-Mother-Testifies

A list of events and rallies across the country.

“Even though I am broken hearted my faith is unshattered I WILL ALWAYS LOVE MY BABY TRAY.”

The NAACP is calling on the DOJ to file civil rights charges against Zimmerman.

The Trayvon Martin Foundation.

Blood on the leaves.

“Stand your ground” increases racial bias in “justifiable homicide trials.”

White supremacy, meet Black rage.

Open season on Black boys.

The Zimmerman jury told young Black men what they already know.

An open love letter to a Black son.

Some thoughts on mercy.

“The fundamental danger of an acquittal is not more riots, it is more George Zimmermans.”

Mychal talks about the trial on UP with Steve Kornacki.

Why the Zimmerman jury failed us.

Still not guilty?

MHP: “I live in a country that makes me wish my sons away… because it’s not safe.”

Further reading.

1. Posted July 14, 2013 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

So sad and disgusting, and all so true. The parents of Trayvon Martin will never recover what they have lost. George Zimmerman may be in fear, but he has many to support him financially and otherwise, and he has his gun. I’m not advocating violence, but fuck George Zimmerman. I’ve had to talk to my own children about being afraid for who we are in the US, and why I don’t like us to travel, because we look different, and others may find us suspicious, or attractive targets.

Please click on “Still not guilty?” I have never seen that. I’ve heard it, I’ve thought it, but I had to realize what I was looking at. And so true.

Has anyone also heard this?

2. Posted July 14, 2013 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

I feel despair. This + VRA + attacks of reproductive rights in Texas and Ohio and other States…it is unrelenting…

3. Posted July 14, 2013 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

I disagree with the blame being put on the jury. Personally, I think the blame should be put on the persecution.

• Posted July 15, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

As was reported on CNN, jury selection is so important. However, that is yet another indication of what is wrong with America. The jury is not supposed to matter that much.

The prosecution and defense have opportunities pre trial, to have the jury made up of people who are impartial, or sympathetic to their own case. The opposition has the opportunity to undo that bias.

Watching the SAME trial, the SAME proceedings, juries are supposed to come up with similar results. Jury members are even interchangeable with alternates, if any, who may be selected to replace the original jurors, mid trial.

I have another idea, quite popular now, not my own, that is very disturbing: did the prosecution deliberately do a shitty job, so they would lose their case, and George Zimmerman be found not guilty, on purpose?

People say the charge of second degree murder was overcharging. Murder is a very hard sell for me personally, but that is not overcharging. The prosecution can charge a suspect with whatever they honestly believe they are guilty of, and try to prove later. My opinion of the mistake the prosecution made in bringing charges and at trial, was not being open to lesser charges from the very beginning, so it was not an all or nothing proposition. Maybe George Zimmerman would be found not guilty for murder. But everyone watching, including the jury, would have known up front, that they could always be open to consider something else, like manslaughter, with which I have no problem at all. As I said, under the strict gun laws, and stricter self defense laws of my own state, if there was a would be Zimmerman here, that was indeed murder. The laws of my state as written are quite fair about the circumstances one may go free for killing another.

The post trial press conference, which I only watched later online, is the kicker. What the hell was that? The infamous smiling and condescending tone, and how “proud” she was of the job they did to try to get justice? Standing shoulder to shoulder with the absolutely beaming defense attorney? I had to confirm that the prosecutor and defense were on opposing sides, and the prosecution is the one responsible for MAKING a case to get justice for the state, against an accused criminal. I don’t watch a lot of trial TV, but when I do see high profile cases post trial, I recall seeing one side upset about not getting the result they want. They certainly wouldn’t be smiling together with the opposing side.

And yes, that is the same prosecutor defending putting a woman in jail for 20 years, for firing a warning shot while defending herself against her husband. She should have killed him, and satisfied self defense against an imminent peril to her life, and he would not be able to accuse her.

4. Posted July 15, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

I want people to google the Roderick Scott case which has many parallels to this case, except the races are reversed. Where was the trial by media for that case? Where was Obama interjecting and fermenting racial divisions? Is a white 17 year old being killed by a black man not a juicy enough story for the scumbag media?

5. Posted July 16, 2013 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

Mods,

I can understand how ‘a male’s’ comment slipped by; he did manage to hide that racist link under a “bit.ly” URL. But Patrice’s comment? Anybody who claims that a Black man defending himself from three white teenagers who were caught breaking into his car has any similarity with the case of a white Latino stalking and provoking a confrontation with a Black teenager who was merely walking home – while accusing the media of “fermenting racial divisions, no less! – should never be taken seriously.

• Posted July 17, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

The case has parallels, esp. the execution of the boy who posed no threat vs. Zimmerman’s injuries and witness reports. My point was about the complete hypocrisy of the media to ferment anger and racial divisions for one case and completely ignore another. The media behaved appallingly during this case, doing the best that they could to try to incite violence.