Friday Feminist Fuck Yeah: It’s National Masturbation Month

Rihanna in a DIY masturbation t-shirt

…and it looks like Rihanna is celebrating too! (Because she’s just the greatest.)

I’ve previously shared my thoughts about the importance of masturbation–or, as I like call it, “the longest, most consistently satisfying sexual relationship of my life.” So I won’t bore you again with TMI details. Instead, I’ll just direct you to the awesome folks at the M Blog, who are masturbating every day this month and writing about it. Check out it!

1. Posted May 18, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

I have no problems with masturbation. Actually, I think it’s pretty great. However, I still think that shirt is really tacky. I live under the idea that you shouldn’t involve other people in your sexuality without their permission. People shouldn’t have to look at an image of someone else masturbating just because they were out running errands.

• Posted May 21, 2013 at 8:40 am | Permalink

That only makes sense if you believe that masterbating or images of masturbation are wrong which is something I think we would all contend.

Moreso I don’t support ideas about what people are allowed to see in public – sounds similar to not wanting to see black people or women or tattoos or short skirts or cleavage or all sorts of other discriminatory practices. I think public is public and people should be able to present themselves however they want. Don’t like it look away. That’s what I tell anyone who questions what women wear and it’s the same case here I think.

• Posted May 23, 2013 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

I think the point she’s trying to make is that whilst masturbation is all well and good and totally fine, other people might not think that, so it’s not fair to forcibly show them pictures of you having a good rummage.

Personally, I don’t really have an issue with that T-shirt, because hey, they’re your genitals, do I really care? However, you shouldn’t force that image on people without their consent, because that’s what equality demands.

• Posted May 22, 2013 at 7:47 am | Permalink

“I live under the idea that you shouldn’t involve other people in your sexuality without their permission. People shouldn’t have to look at an image of someone else masturbating just because they were out running errands.” Hear, hear.

We often talk about our right to our own sexuality and how it is a private issue. This shirt IS’nt respecting my right to be private about both your and my sexuality.

2. Posted May 19, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Imagine if that was a picture of a man rather than a woman masturbating. That would be seen as very offensive. I also of course have no problems with masturbation, it is something positive, but I am getting tired of female masturbation sung about in songs or shown (yeah I know her hand is covered by her underwear but still) as on this t-shirt and it is supposed to be empowering. I think it is more likely that it is not seen as offensive as public displays of male masturbation would be because women are not really seen as sexual beings anyway so any sexual act by a woman is not really taken seriously as her having sexual feelings but is objectified to be about the observer.

• Posted May 21, 2013 at 8:42 am | Permalink

I think it’s more that we automatically assume every male is a pervert and that any man wearing that shirt must be a creep.

Whereas an attractive woman like Rihanna wearing that shirt – well that’s hot. Sexy is ok for women right but not for men for some reason.

Ironic that men are bound by opposite sexual restraints then women.