Thanksgiving Open Thread

black friday ecard

[Via]

Happy Thanksgiving! Feministing will be taking the next couple days off from our regular posting to spend time with friends and family and food. The e-card above notwithstanding (not to mention the awful historical roots of the day), Thanksgiving has always been my favorite day of the year. It’s really the only tradition I wholeheartedly embrace. In my utopian dreams, it is Thanksgiving everyday for everyone. We all get to spend all our time with people we love. We all have enough and we are all grateful for that. There’s no appalling inequality and there are no entitled assholes. Just mountains upon mountains of mashed potatoes. Until that day…

What are you thankful for?

. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted November 22, 2012 at 11:30 am | Permalink

As someone who has never had to cook a Thanksgiving meal or really clean up afterward, I’m thankful for having people who care about me enough to treat me like an “entitled asshole”. I’m sure they’re thankful that they don’t need to eat a dinner that I had some hand in creating too. For many men, Thanksgiving isn’t just about friends, family, and food. There is also football.

2. Posted November 22, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

I’m thankful for how epically awesome my life is, how lucky I am to have such great friends and family, etc cliche cliche.
    :D

3. Posted November 22, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

That e-card is so true! Just read an article mentioning that: The War On Thanksgiving.

Anyway, this year I tried to be thankful TO people rather than FOR people. Telling myself I’m lucky to know such lovely people is perhaps less useful than telling them that.

4. Posted November 22, 2012 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

I’m thankful that I get to experience Thanksgiving with people I love, with a family that has always supported me in my paths, encouraged me, and treated me with empathy. They don’t hurt me or debase me or abuse me in any way. I know many people aren’t so lucky.

I’m also thankful for Quorn mycoprotien turkey substitute. The texture and flavor are AMAZING. 8D

5. Posted November 22, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

PS: I’m also thankful for the chance to watch the MST3K Turkey Day Marathon host segments and Turkey Day version of Night of the Blood Beast with a friend of the family who’s a fellow mysty that just dropped by.

I’m thankful that I’m in a demographic with far less oppression to deal with. I didn’t earn it, I don’t necessary deserve it, but it’s still lucky for me. >_>

I’m thankful for a rich delicious vegetarian meal cooked by a wonderful mother.

I’m thankful for the progressive wonder of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and the people and experiences it has connected me with. I’m thankful for the fruits of spring, the gift of intoxication, and the sublime wonder of the Night Wind. I am thankful for the opportunity to watch said MST3K episode in front of a roaring fireplace, sipping autumn cider and finishing off the last bits of four different flavors of pie.

I’m thankful for Avatar the Last Airbender. I’m thankful for the short stories I’ve published. I’m thankful for all the grim fates that me and many of my loved ones have dodged.

I’d also like to thank the academy-

Really, I have a lot to be thankful for, and I’m working hard to be adequately grateful.

• Posted November 24, 2012 at 8:56 am | Permalink

Can I second MLP and Avatar? Yesplz.

6. Posted November 23, 2012 at 6:12 am | Permalink

I’m thankful for this ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h95-IL3C-Z8

Go, Scotland!

7. Posted November 23, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

I love my life, i love my family, i love my friends, i love my boyfriend. I just love everything surrounding me.. I am very much thankful for having them in my life..