Infographic: Diversity in Hollywood

Screen Shot 2012-11-19 at 6.18.29 PM

Or lack thereof, really.

Thanks to Brianna Higgins of BAH Studios Doodles for this nice infographic of casting practices in Hollywood, based on race. Culled from research by Sociological Images, we see only 11.1 percent of leading actor roles go to African Americans, only 1.2 percent to Latinos and only 1.8 percent to Asian Americans. So much for the beigeing and browning of America.

I do like that pale mauve shade that Brianna gives to “white,” though.

See more of her work here.

1. Posted November 20, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

This is pretty misleading. You have to compare these numbers to the percentage of each racial group in this country. The 2011 Census says, 63.4% white, 13.1% black, 5.0% asian, 1.2% American Indian, 16.7% hispanic/latino. So yes, there is a problem here, but it’s not nearly as big as this infographic seems to imply.

• Posted November 20, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Your comment would make more sense if the white actors were only being cast in roles written for white characters. There are hundreds of instances of whitewashing (or to use a more recent term, “racebending”) where a character’s race was changed in order to cast a white actor.

• Posted November 20, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

Your comment reveals the following assumption:

That representation of minority racial groups should be either equal to or less than, but not greater than, their proportion of the actual population in the USA.

Why should that be the case?

• Posted November 21, 2012 at 11:43 am | Permalink

You don’t see anything wrong with Latino roles making up less than half of their actual population size?

• Posted November 21, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

As I said in my original comment: Yes, there is absolutely a problem with minorities being underrepresented in Hollywood. I’m not denying that. I’m just pointing out that this infographic is poorly designed and doesn’t actually tell that story. In order to know that there is a problem (and to see it’s magnitude) I had to do research on my own, and I thought that would be useful research for others to see.

• Posted November 21, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Actually, what you said was the problem is “not nearly as big as this infographic seems to imply”. Everyone else has been telling you that it is. Backpedalling isn’t going to work.

In order to know that there is a problem (and to see it’s magnitude) I had to do research on my own…

Did you honestly expect decades of history to be outlined in one graph?