Did Chris Brown get a tattoo of a battered woman’s face?

Via Think Progress

I’m so sick of writing about Chris Brown. I’m sick of constantly having to explain to victim blamers that Chris Brown was too quickly forgiven and Rihanna, his victim, was too quickly blamed for her assault.

But now, hopefully, folks will once and for all view Chris Brown as the awful person he is. Brown has decided that an image of a battered woman (which looks a lot like Rihanna’s now infamous police picture) would make a great neck tattoo. Now leaving open the possibility that this could be a publicity stunt, Brown’s tasteless choice really should let those holding out hope that he is reformed know exactly where he stands.

Brown doesn’t appear to be reformed, remorseful, or even the slightest bit disturbed by the horrific nature of his actions.  I hope I’m wrong.  I hope this is one of those times where we see an image of Jesus in a puddle of rain or something but this picture looks an awful lot like a women’s battered face and Chris Brown wouldn’t be the first batterer in history to be proud of the pain he has inflicted.

1. Posted September 11, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

I want to humbly submit that my first reaction to this post was, “Really, Zerlina? You’re going to piggyback on a Daily News trash piece and righteously rename it ‘This Abuser Has No Sense of Accountablility’?”
    I think that this title is accurate in most any other conversation about Chris Brown – except the one about his new tattoo. It seems pretty clear to me that it’s a SKULL on the left side. I don’t know the significance or symbolism that this holds for him, and I don’t care to delve into it. And I don’t care to be exposed to a reality TV-style fluff piece on the feed of Feministing!

2. Posted September 11, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

I think this is a case for Betteridge’s Law of Headlines. The left hand side is a skull; the nose and eye cavities are visible and empty. For whatever reason (memento mori?) this appears to be a very common tattoo motif. I don’t think an identification of this artwork as a battered woman is sensible because very thankfully most domestic abuse victims do not have their entire skin and musculature removed from one half of their heads.

I personally recommend sticking firmly to your commendable desire to avoid further writing about Chris Brown, who, exactly as you say, remains an awful person.

3. Posted September 11, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

The only way to combat injustices against women (for example, violence) is to include men in the struggle towards justice. Calling someone a terrible person is not inclusive language. We can be angry, we can be frustrated, we can be sad, but we cannot exclude batterers from the journey to justice.

• Posted September 12, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

I admire your desire to label actions, rather than people, as terrible, and to always be open to forgive others. I would argue that it’s only reasonable to expect, from those who have done terrible things, contrition and an attempt to set things right as the first steps on their journey, before we embrace or forgive them.

• Posted September 14, 2012 at 8:15 am | Permalink

What do you mean by men? How are other men exactly supposed to control what Chris Brown does or doesnt?

4. Posted September 11, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

As much as I despise Chris Brown and think this tattoo was a very poor choice, it isn’t a battered woman. It’s clearly a face in make up like a Dia de los Muertos skull, there are flowers and everything. Again, still a poor choice for a guy who seems to make a lot of poor choices.

5. Posted September 12, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Permalink