Breaking: Gabby Douglas wins gold!

Today, Gabby Douglas became America’s first African American all around Olympic gymnastics champion. She is, in fact, the first woman of colour to ever win this medal. Here she is doing her amazing goddamn thing at National Championships in June.

1. Posted August 2, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Woah, spoiler alert. I didn’t expect to have to blackout Feministing when avoiding Olympic spoilers.

2. Posted August 2, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

1. That’s awesome.
    2. M-Fing spoilers! Do a solid and warn a lady next time!

3. Posted August 2, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

This is amazing and fantastic and all sorts of other words, but man if I’m not annoyed that you spoiled this for those of us who can’t live stream. I stay away from Olympic coverage during the day so I won’t know the outcome before they show it in the US in the evenings.

4. Posted August 2, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

tweeted the same thing ladies!! SPOILER ALERTS. not shocking to see i’m not the only one perturbed.

5. Posted August 2, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

SPOILERS—As much as I love that Gabby is the first woman of color to win this event, I have to admit, having watched it, I thought Komova got shanked. Gabby somehow scored 5 tenths higher on bars from the previous rounds (her execution looked roughly the same to me), and she somehow got the highest beam score of the competition SO FAR, even though her foot came off the beam. I really thought her scores were inflated. I know this might make me unpopular around here, but I just had to say it. Also, her vault score was higher than team final, which was a much better vault than today’s (it was off to the side and not stuck).

6. Posted August 2, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

Really awesome! I heard that she was sorta a last-minute addition to the team. Not sure if that’s true, but if it is, the whole thing is even more awesome.

7. Posted August 2, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Permalink