Weekly Feminist Reader

pay gap chart
Age 39 seems to be when college-educated women hit their pay ceiling.

An Afghan rape victim has spoken out against her assailants who are members of the American-trained Afghan Local Police. “If the people in government fail to bring these people to justice I am going to burn myself,” she says. “I don’t want to live with this stigma on my forehead.

Read this poem by Emily Manuel. Just do it.

Yet another study reminds just how effective IUDs are: 20 times more effective than the Pill.

Saudi Arabia’s secret women’s soccer league
is organized by word of mouth and social media so the authorities don’t shut it down.

A roundup of five classic sex-and-drugs freakouts about the “kids these days.”

The new documentary series Push Girls
“depicts the reality of living with paralysis and how it doesn’t have to define a person’s life.”

A vote on the Paycheck Fairness Act is expected next week
. It probably won’t pass because pay discrimination is somehow a partisan issue–but it will be yet another chance to highlight just how little the GOP cares about women’s rights.

Nona explores why a new study finds single people’s happiness declines over the years, while married people’s just levels off.

Jay Smooth
on Kelli Goff’s ridiculous, slut-shamey article about Michelle Obama saying she admires Beyonce.

Have you seen the new movie Hysteria? Check out the fun little timeline I made about treatments for hysteria and the invention of the vibrator.

On black women and the burden of respectability at Bitch Magazine.

The New York Times seems to think high-school-age girls who date boys a couple years younger are predatory. Double standard much?

“When it comes to U.S. intervention in Latin America, brown-skinned women’s bodies are always collateral damage.”

An Oklahoma doctor refused to provide emergency contraception to a teen rape victim. Thanks conscious clauses!

Putting together a summer reading list? Check out this Shakesville thread for recommendations for Feminism/Womanism 101 books.

What have you been reading/writing/watching/learning this week?

1. Posted June 3, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

The first episode of Push Girls was put up early on hulu, really well done, and I know Sarah Ruhl wrote a play called “In The Next Room” also about the invention of the vibrator that’s really good. Can’t find showtimes for “Hysteria” where I am unfortunately. Here’s hoping that changes.

2. Posted June 3, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Everyday Yoga — I am Not Thrilled with the amount of body diversity in online representations of yoga, so I’m starting a photo project to create a better representation of a wider range of bodies in a wider range of poses. This post has details and a request for suggestions.

I also reviewed Yoga Meltdown from Jillian Michaels. It is less bullying than I’d feared, but I’m still debating frying my copy in a microwave.

Zoe & Anna Kick Ass & Take Names — Finishing my vampire play. Now, what to write for a sequel?

3. Posted June 3, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

A reflection on the Montreal protests and higher education: student debt burden goes further than dollars and cents.

4. Posted June 3, 2012 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

I’ve just finished Christopher Taffen’s “What Happened to Tom” – it’s an allegory of forced pregnancy, and billed as a horror story. Indeed. Also billed as a must-read for every man – and I’d add, every woman who doesn’t think access to contraception and abortion is a BIG DEAL.

5. Posted June 4, 2012 at 2:26 am | Permalink

oh yay a reading list! my holidays are in 5 days and i need to a starting point.

A Decade of Building a Queer Palestinian Discourse:

Dalia Mogahed: The attitudes that sparked Arab Spring:

people protest against the queensland governments proposal to ditch same sex civil unions and their cutting of the funding of a community service:

Queen of diamonds, bludger at heart :

A royal pain in the arse :

6. Posted June 4, 2012 at 7:44 am | Permalink

“Push Girls.” “Girls.” Girls this, Girls that. Why isn’t Femisting calling women out on labeling themselves “girls???”

My daughter is a girl. She’s 6. “Push Girls” are women.

And language DOES matter.