Weekly Feminist Reader

rihanna mtv texts
How much do we love Rihanna? [Via]

“Dear daughter-You should know that you are hated.”

Find out which 17 states would immediately ban abortion if Roe v. Wade were overturned.

Bryce Covert and Catalyst
respond to that Atlantic article claiming that the economy biased against men.

If you haven’t yet seen the photos of that Swedish female genital cutting cake, they’re really that bad.

Racialicious has a couple great takes on Girls and racial diversity in TV.

Vanessa Williams writes about getting an abortion as a teen in her new memoir. This is considered by some to be a “bombshell” revelation.

Who better to take on Katie Roiphe’s bullshit than professional dominatrixes?

Megan Carpentier can tell you what it’s like to get a transvaginal ultrasound.

Despicable: An NYPD cop who took naked photos of a rape victim will be allowed to keep his pension.

Don’t miss Melissa Harris-Perry’s roundtable on “being transgender in America.”

s.e. smith puts the Secret Service scandal in historical context. “What is more surprising, that Secret Service agents avail themselves of sex workers in possible violation of the law and certain violation of agency policy, or that they think they can get away with not paying them?”

It’s been one year since the French ban on veiling went into effect.

“You know when I will believe that our society values housekeeping and childcare? When men do it.”

A couple of posts on dating while fat and feminist.

Julia Serano sets Ms. straight: Nope, trans feminism is not a conundrum.

1. Posted April 22, 2012 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Unless You’re There with Me — On Arizona’s Senate Bill 1009. Apparently it’s not enough for an anti-choice legislature to want to play doctor; now they want to play teacher, too.

Jalapenos y Masturbation, which is actually about learning to become my own strong patient advocate to deal with my endometriosis.

Too Many [note for sexual assault] — “[N]ot everything matches our narratives for what assault looks like because some forms of it are so normalized.”

2. Posted April 22, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Wait just a second. You’re telling me that Vermont and Massachusetts would outlaw abortion if Roe V. Wade was overturned?! WTF! What happened to the New England States being blue states? Why suddenly red states?

3. Posted April 22, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

I wrote this after seeing one too many derails on threads that could have otherwise been an interesting and lively discussion by the actual stakeholders.

The role of self-identified men in feminist discussions and spaces.

4. Posted April 22, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

>”Who better to take on Katie Roiphe’s bullshit than professional dominatrixes?”

IDK, maybe some non-professional ones? It’s great to have some info on why people of all genders find sexual submission enticing, but only asking pro-dommes gives the impression that women are only dom in exchange for money rather than its own sake. If you think what I just wrote was a stretch, well, it would be if it weren’t for the fact that pro-dommes dominate media depictions of dominant women, while sub women, dom men, and sub men are usually represented as people just doing it for the yuks (and I’m not trying to say that no pro-dommes get into their work because they are sexually dominant in their private life too, but there isn’t typically that much acknowledgement of that when they end up in the media). So now we’ve corrected Roiphe and her supporters about who is attracted to sexual submission and why, but they’re free to rebut with “abloobloo but there are more male doms than female ones and most of the latter do it for money, so I must be right about my essentialism on some level!”

5. Posted April 22, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

Ooh, an excellent selection! Came on to the site today to see if there was any mention of that ridiculous ‘creep shaming’ thing the MRAs are all worked up about (apparently, reacting negatively to someone stalking you is the same as blaming rape victims for their assaults- go figure!).

Now, Sweden, what’s the deal? How on *earth* did anyone think that was going to be OK? I mean, honestly, I was nauseated by the video- there’s a screaming woman in blackface having her caricatured body hacked apart with knives. WTF, Sweden?

On the veil ban- I’m still baffled. Ever since our town got a Muslim population (in the last decade or so), I’ve seen more women wearing the veil, and it doesn’t seem to be hurting anyone. I’ve seen intelligent, empowered Muslim college students wearing the veil. I’ve seen professional women wearing the veil. I’ve seen women at the Occupy protest wearing the veil. My awesome feminist sister who single-handedly taught me how not to be a misogynistic turd put on a veil when she married her new Muslim husband (congrats, sis!). It seems like it’s a bad idea to force women to wear certain things *or* not to wear certain things. How can I be ‘empowering’ my classmates or my sisters, if I’m trying to make their choices for them?

On the fat thing, I’m a bit conflicted. Should fat people be respected? Absolutely- I’m a fat guy and I hope to be respected. Would it be neat if fat folk were seen as attractive? Well, yeah, that would. I know I’m sick of being left out of all this fun everyone keeps alleging is going on among young people, and I’m sick of poor self-esteem and failed attempts at weight loss (somehow, the fact that I’m only eating one, not-very-large meal a day doesn’t seem to do anything). But, at the same time, I know I’m not entitled to affection or to sex- and neither is anyone else. I can’t go around demanding everyone else change their idea of beauty so that I and other big people can get our freak on with the skinny folk. I mean, I can complain all I want about it being unfair- and it kind of is unfair- but I can’t just declare that everyone who won’t get it on with me is being a fat-phobe and oppressing me.

6. Posted April 23, 2012 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Typo! I believe this is supposed to say Julia Serano. :)