Belvedere Vodka ad jokes about date rape

We will just echo Amina and say: FUCK YOU BELVEDERE VODKA.

Of course, Belvedere is now sorry that you were offended. But if you don’t find that apology sufficient or have more to say about why joking about date rape is not the best way to sell vodka, you can contact Belvedere here or by emailing info@belvedere-vodka.com.

1. Posted March 23, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

WOW…. are you freakin’ kidding me?!

I am NEVER buying Belvedere.

2. Posted March 23, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Usually I’m not that surprised by ridiculous ads, but this one tops the charts. I’m freakin pissed and want to punch whatever dudebros came up with this sh*t. FU, dudebros. FU.

3. Posted March 23, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

What’s that, Belvedere? You want me to drink Smirnoff instead? Well, gosh, if you say so…

4. Posted March 23, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

“We advocate safe and responsible drinking?” What the hell kind of “apology” is that? Like if these people had been “safe and responsible” with alcohol she wouldn’t be getting raped? What the f*ck?

Safe and responsible drinking has nothing to do with rape. Rape happens because rapists decide to be rapists. That’s it. Doesn’t matter how much or how little the attacker or the victim was drinking or not drinking. That apology is a frikkin’ joke and I don’t know who came up with that marketing campaign, but they are an idiot.

5. Posted March 23, 2012 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

It’s sickening and plays to the male gaze of rape being something fun; a woman’s terror being a sporting sexual party game.

The way he is smiling in the photograph is the way he’d be smiling next to a wriggling fish he’d just hauled out the water.

The word “people” is a misnomer in this ad. Clearly they don’t think of us as human. Just meat to abuse, fuck, ejaculate on, and discard the next morning like the rest of the empties.

6. Posted March 23, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

My first interpretation of this ad is that “Goes down” refers to oral sex, and the scenario being shown is a woman who attempted some form of oral sex and choked (either on the unit or on its emission), causing her boyfriend to help her out with a Heimlich maneuver.

I get that right away and honestly, I don’t see any kind of “date rape” interpretation. That feels like a stretch, but hey it could be the case. Has Belvedere acknowledge that it intended to represent date rape? The apology honestly sounds like they are unaware of that view and never intended it.

Thanks!

• Posted March 24, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

That doesn’t make any sense. If they meant that vodka goes down the throat in a way that other liquids don’t, it wouldn’t say “unlike some PEOPLE”. they are referring to a PERSON being hard to bring down (physically).

• Posted March 26, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Anon, you’re kidding, right? The Heimlich maneuver looks nothing like what is depicted, and is used to dislodge an object from the windpipe. Do you think there’s a disembodied penis stuck in that woman’s windpipe? I don’t. What I see is a woman fighting a man who wants her to “go down” (yes, I think you’re right when you say that refers to oral sex). She is trying to pry his hands off her with her hands. Her leg is poised as though she’s either just been pulled forcibly from her feet or is struggling to get up. The man clearly thinks this is all a funny game.

7. Posted March 24, 2012 at 1:22 am | Permalink

Belvedere Vodka, better than sexual assault! Just like 99.9999% of everything ever.

There is no way that a Belvedere executive took time to type out that apology. The apology could apply to anything twitter related. Frankly it makes me doubt their commitment to responsible drinking more than ever before if their knee-jerk response is to include it here.

There are tons of annoying things they could have used in place of sexual assault, or whatever they think they’re showing in the picture, from someone with boring stories at a party to someone slurping their soup, but the first thing to come to mind was a man grabbing a woman. Obviously they don’t know or care why the little people are yelling at them.

8. Posted March 24, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

I actually thought this was a joke about drunk people being unable to stand and falling over hard… if that’s the case, they need a better ad photographer, because the picture is very ambiguous. This is unfortunately probably not the case.

9. Posted March 24, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

When I read the tweet, I thought it was just a wisecrack about people who are bad at oral sex (whether on women or men). The photo is a little ambiguous—I can see where Anon might interpret the woman’s face as choking, and I can also see where others might interpret it as her being terrified.

What makes it creepy to me either way is that she’s obviously uncomfortable, and he’s just laughing about it. Maybe a better image for this caption might be one partner choking and the other handing them a glass of vodka to wash it down, not laughing at them.

10. Posted March 25, 2012 at 3:46 am | Permalink

She looks scared out of her mind. This is one messed up add. I already don’t drink, but if I ever do start, I’ll most certainly not drink any of that brand.

11. Posted March 25, 2012 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Email plebard@mhusa.com

Lundy, Jason
    SVP Marketing – Belvedere
    (212) 251-8272
    Email jlundy@mhusa.com

12. Posted March 28, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

I thought it was meant as a condemnation of rape when I first saw it. That or she was choking on his semen. But reading the comments I’m no longer sure their intent.