At least the Republicans are Consistent: They are for probing women’s vaginas & against VAWA

You gotta hand it to the Republicans. They’re committed and consistent when it comes to making life miserable for women. Today’s all male panel on contraceptives was the cherry on the layered cake of misogyny comprised of opposing the Violence Against Women Act, and insisting on vaginally penetrating women against their will. See, the Republicans can’t support a bill that’s against violence against women, when they themselves are perpetuating violence against women by technically raping them with an instrument.

Digby has a great take on the Virginia Bill:

No Virginia, it’s not really about the fetus. It’s all about the probe.Democrats had sought to allow doctors to use other imaging methods but Republicans insisted that doctors put an instrument inside the woman’s vagina. Why? Well, since there’s no medical reason for it, the only possible explanation is that they want to “send a message.” You know. About who’s boss:

And here’s the  statement made by David Englin, who offered an amendment that was shot down because it wasn’t invasive enough.

This bill will require many women in Virginia to undergo vaginal penetration with an ultrasound probe against their consent in order to exercise their constitutional right to an abortion, even for nonsurgical, noninvasive, pharmaceutical abortions.  This kind of government intrusion shocks the conscience and demonstrates the disturbing lengths Republican legislators will go to prevent women from controlling their own reproductive destiny.

I offered an amendment that would have protected women from the unwanted vaginal penetration required by this bill. House Republicans rejected that amendment.  The next time Virginia Republicans speak the words ‘government intrusion’ I hope voters will remember this vote and hold them accountable for their hypocrisy.

So thank you, Republicans, for not being hypocritical about your hypocrisy.

1. Posted February 16, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

Why??????????????????????????????????????? It’s like the state of the country goes two steps forward, and then 4 steps back

2. Posted February 16, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

this makes me so angry. it’s so horrifying, and yet I don’t even live in Virginia, so I can never (fingers crossed) know the exact horror of this male dominator imperial oppression; it makes me cry that this is really real! THE FBI JUST DEFINED RAPE AND IT INCLUDES THIS!!!!!!!!!! WHO WILL TAKE THIS TO COURT???????

3. Posted February 16, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

oh, and BTW, 5 children die every minute from malnutrition. If they care about WANTED CHILDREN, they should spend this money on foreign aid and climate change abatement. But what they really care about is dominating women. If I were the medical professional, I would clearly refuse to do this. Not just because I don’t want to rape someone, but, well, yeah, because I don’t want to rape someone!

4. Posted February 16, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

They’re trying to get around the legality of abortions by making trying to get one such an awful experience that women will change their minds. Except there’s no evidence that supports their strategy, nor any ethical or moral principles.

5. Posted February 16, 2012 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

Well for a bit of.. less bad, news… something like this will probably get shot down when it inevitably reaches the supreme court with backing from the ACLU and such… Hopefully it never makes it in to practice at all, though.

Honestly, even if they DO get their crazy abortion laws and such passed, I think the most it will do is create a black market for abortions and put the lives of women, who would be getting them safely from professionals, in regulated manners, with insurance and legal safety nets, in danger, when they have to go to a black market practitioner, who is unregulated, not held to any standards of sanitation, has no liability, and if the woman tries to go for legal help, she herself would be guilty of a crime. I do not see abortion going away no matter what the republicans do.

6. Posted February 17, 2012 at 12:41 am | Permalink

I’m glad I have this site. If I learned about this crap without this site I’d probably just die from all this stupid.

7. Posted February 17, 2012 at 4:13 am | Permalink

Can’t someone throw them in jail for forcing other people to basically rape women?

8. Posted February 17, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

I wonder how many of these women got pregnant because those feelings and beliefs that make them unwilling to be penetrated by a doctor’s ultra sound wand also made them unwilling to be penetrated by a doctor’s speculum? Because it’s nearly impossible to get a prescription for effective contraception without submitting to a pap smear.

Count me in the above category. When I told Planned Parenthood I wanted to start having sex with my boyfriend but I didn’t want to be sexually intimate with the nurse because I didn’t love her, they showed me the door. After I got married to my boyfriend they were willing to prescribe birth control to me, but I just filled the last refill on my prescription… I’ve got an appointment to get my prescription renewed, and I’m so scared that they will have a change of heart and tell me “let me stick things in your vagina or you’ll have to stop having sex with your husband”

9. Posted February 17, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

I wonder if this is one of those procedures I can “morally object” to. Because I would! I wish everyone would.

10. Posted February 18, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Well I wonder if women will look into wether or not elections are rigged when their rights will be stripped away.

11. Posted February 20, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

I live in Texas, so I’m quite familiar with said probing. It pains me knowing these republicans are getting some sort of seek glee in traumatizing women who are already making such a difficult decision. Seriously, what the hell is happening to the world that makes it okay for society to suddenly jump back to the dark ages? Must be something in the water..lol