This Valentine’s Day celebrate Purity Day with the Purity Bear

No, this video is not satire. It is real, as the couple explain in a follow up video. The video supports the Day of Purity, “a project of Liberty Counsel and is designed for students of all ages who commit to remain sexually pure until marriage.” The Day of Purity is a response to the “concerted effort in the schools and media to turn our youth away from traditional values.” DOP (I’m going to call it that, from now on) is particularly distressed that:

“the push to experiment at a young age has led to a nationwide phenomena among teen girls knows is bisexual chic–declaring themselves bisexual for attention and because it’s cool. Experimenting with sexuality may be seen as cool but what’s not cool, and in fact, not even discussed, are the devastating consequences of sexual activity outside of marriage.”

So in moments of weakness, turn to your bear, not your boy or girl (especially if you’re a girl). You can also sign this purity pledge and order your card for free today! Feeling frisky? Don’t think you can wait for that card to come in the mail? Don’t worry, DOP has a plan B for you horn dogs out there:  ”if you can’t wait to have it in your hands, you can print your own purity pledge card right now, cut it out, fold it over and sign it. You can keep this paper copy until you receive yours in the mail.” Phew! That was close!

and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted February 14, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

“So in moments of weakness, turn to your bear” Is it just me or is the Liberty Council pushing a plushophile agenda? This is a slippery slope to special rights like plush marriage!

• Posted February 14, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

Oh no! Rick Santorum was RIGHT…in fact an organization in his political side is instigating his worst nightmare!

• Posted February 14, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

oh that sarcasm tag didn’t work

2. Posted February 14, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Besides every other problem with this video, it is so poorly and awkwardly made! These two have no chemistry. Does the boy also want to have sex with the teddy bear because it’s cuddly? Are these two just getting married the next day so they can “do it”? Are they going to have sex right there in the church? So many unanswered questions.

3. Posted February 14, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

You know what doesn’t feel right? That lighting. Also, that sound quality. Also, the idea that preaching abstinence does anything positive.

4. Posted February 14, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Honestly I think it is a fine message for parents to encourage their teens to take sex seriously and wait… maybe not until marriage, but until they are old enough to handle the physical and emotional responsibility. What irks me is the male/female double standard when it comes to teen sexuality and the shaming of teen girls for being sexually active. The only real problem with abstinence education (aside from the fact that it can’t combat hormones) is that it almost always is at the expense of real sex education and facts, which are what teens truly need as they enter this part of their lives. Teenagers – maybe not all of them, but lots of them – are going to have sex, whether people told them to be abstinent or not. And when they do, they’re going to be at higher risks of unsafe sex, pregnancy and STD contraction because all the people telling them “just don’t do it” never bothered to let them know the important information they needed when they inevitably did.

5. Posted February 14, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

I’m particularly distressed that they wrote “a nationwide phenomena.” Didn’t they learn about Latin plurals? Maybe they were too distracted in school having impure thoughts. Or maybe they just can’t spell at all, since their organization is called “Liberty Counsel” [sic].

I wonder if they have other videos? I’m a little disturbed that the girl is presented as a temptress. But at least they’re holding the boy responsible for his own actions.

6. Posted February 14, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Ok, this is creepy. Seriously, teenagers are not going to keep their genitalia to themselves, like it or not. They need REAL sex education, in which they are given access to information about condoms, contraceptives, and STD prevention. These religious nutjobs have no sense of reality whatsoever on this issue.

7. Posted February 14, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Do they really think a commercial like this aimed at teens is going to be effective? Honestly, when I was a teenager, I think I would have found a commercial with a teddy bear advising teenagers what to (about anything!) incredibly patronizing and me and my friends would have made fun of it. What next, a lecture on teen drinking by Barney the Dinosaur?

8. Posted February 15, 2012 at 8:40 am | Permalink

I love the shot where he clenches his hand, as though on the verge of some kind of psychotic episode that only begins with an imaginary talking bear. It has a Silence of the Lambs vibe, “Look at me, I’m cuddly. Would you cuddle me? I’d cuddle me. I’d cuddle me hard.”

On a more serious note, I find it interesting that the Liberty Counsel’s statement mentions the devastating consequences of sex outside of marriage, but fails to note that the consequences of sex inside of marriage seem to be, well, exactly the same. We could argue that it symbolizes a greater commitment, but given the divorce rate, that doesn’t seem necessarily true.

• Posted February 15, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Just wanted to say, that spit-out-soda-on-the-keyboard-laughing RULED.

Good thing I have a rubber covering on my keyboard.

9. Posted February 15, 2012 at 10:20 am | Permalink

While I do think it is important for people of all genders to wait until they are emotionally, physically and financially ready to have sex, I can’t help but fundamentally disagree with the message that you should wait until marriage. Why on earth if we believe marriage is such a big part of sex do we play hide the ball? It can’t help but think it is the equivalent to not telling your partner whether you want to have kids, what religion you are or what political party you belong to until after you get married or not disclosing any financial details about yourself until the wedding night.

If as an individual, you decide(d) to wait until marriage to have sex, more power to you. I just don’t understand why you would expect a full disclosure of other information and not that.

I can only believe that the people who advocate such a position either believe that (1) everyone has the same sexual preferences or (2) everyone should have the same sexual prefrences. So long as there is any kind of sexual messaging permeating our culture (and I’m unaware of a culture where that hasn’t happened) people are going to develop ideas and perhaps even preferences, prior to becoming sexually active.

Forcing people to sexually surprise one another on their wedding night is wildly cruel. And frankly, for people who immediately discover they aren’t compatible, it puts them in a position of having to undertake the significant expense of divorce. Which is also unfair. Now I’ll grant there may be a certain appeal to only sleeping with one person in your lifetime, certainly from a safety standpoint, but why you would chose to be financially punished, religiously ostracized and/or socially stigmatized for making a bad first choice, I don’t understand.

10. Posted February 15, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

Two things:

1) I think marriage is a misogynistic institution that I want no part of so waiting until marriage would mean abstaining from sex for my entire life and screw that (oh puns)

2) This video makes me want to go have lots of premarital/ nonmarital sex.

11. Posted February 16, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Hey boys, if you’re feeling sexually frustrated by the lovely young lady who may tempt your purity with her shame cave, fuck your teddy bear.

…That didn’t sound right.