Ten Responses to the Phrase “Man Up”

Originally posted in Community Blog

I hate to look like I’m just here promoting myself, but I’m a long-time reader and thought other Feministing readers might be interested in this. I’m also a two-time National Poetry Slam champion, founder of the Hip Hop Against Homophobia concert series and a long-time social justice activist and educator.  Thanks for reviewing.

Plus another, different spoken-word deconstruction of masculinity and gender conditioning here.

. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted February 9, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Wow thanks for posting. In case anyone wants it, I’ve added the words/transcription at the original post here: http://www.guante.info/2012/02/10-responses-to-phrase-man-up-spoken.html

2. Posted February 9, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

FINALLY

3. Posted February 9, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Beautiful, beautiful. Thank you.

4. Posted February 9, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

Very powerful.

5. Posted February 9, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

Oh my god. You are AMAZING!

6. Posted February 11, 2012 at 1:46 am | Permalink

I love this. I was was feeling worn down tonight and this lifted me right back up. It is so meaningful when people speak powerfully about what is right.

7. Posted February 12, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

Thank you. Thank you for writing this, thank you for performing this, thank you for being who you are.

I saw this when you posted it and have reposted it on fb, tagged all of my male friends, wrote about it, and cried over it at least seven times already. Interestingly, it was mainly women who reblogged the link from my page; one man did.

I really feel that redefining masculinity into something better, something new, something non-destructive is a HUGE part of feminism and needs desperately to happen. Thus, I am eternally and consistently grateful for men like you. I’ve never heard it put so beautifully or eloquently before, and I love slam poetry. THANK. YOU.

8. Posted February 14, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

absolute perfection, i created an account to comment on this.