Weekly Feminist Reader

UndocuQueer
“I am UndocuQueer!” is an art project that aims to give undocumented queers “more of a presence in the discussion of migrant rights.” Follow the link to submit your own photo.

In a surprise move, Morocco’s new prime minister is planning to allow abortions in cases of rape and incest.

The traveling exhibit “Freedom’s Sisters” explores the role of women in the civil rights movement.

“Portraying the cis male’s penis as some flaccid underdog in the organ olympics is wrong, wrong wrong wrong.”

Fantasy writer Jim C. Hines tries pose like the women on fantasy book covers.

A coalition of health groups released new national standards for comprehensive sex education.

Roxane Gay responds to Lev Grossman’s (very white, very male) list of books he’s looking forward to in 2012 with a list of her own.

Contraceptive use in Ethiopia has doubled in the last five years.

Kim Novak joins the ranks of celebrities who inappropriately compare things that are not rape to rape.

The Obama administration says the U.S. can’t be sued by Guatemalans who, in a horrifying experiment to test penicillin, were exposed to STDs by U.S. researchers in the 1940s.

Anti-choicers bring out four-year-olds to testify in support of Ohio’s Heartbeat bill.

A douchebag Tennessee representative thinks allowing trans people to access public bathrooms will take us “down a slippery slope of depravity.”

On The Issues‘ winter issue is all about abortion.

A provocative piece about the parallels between female genital cutting and breast implantation.

What have you been writing/reading/watching/learning this week?

1. Posted January 15, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

So this week I found out I had an STD and naturally had to write about that. http://lilaeden.wordpress.com/2012/01/13/nausea-is-my-punishment/

2. Posted January 15, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

I said good-bye to my skinny jeans as I heard my mother’s body-policing voice inside my head.

And read an interesting article on exercise and metabolically active fat.

3. Posted January 15, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Lisbeth Salander doesn’t live here. She never did The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo vs. How Life Actually Works: what really happens to women armed with evidence, who try fighting back?

The Delphiad presents: ten reasons why you’re not in a relationship. Inspired by Cosmo, HuffPo and the default home page of my web-based email provider.

Nudity as protest, aka pimping out women for the cause.

Venn circles of feminine/masculine/human logic.

Women, agency, and choices.

4. Posted January 15, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

To that guy from Tennessee: if you want a slippery slope, of depravity or otherwise, then by all means ban people from using washrooms…

5. Posted January 16, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

I read this today about a Virginia delegate who says God (or Nature) punishes women who get abortions with disabled babies: http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2010/02/22/83337/disabled-abortion/ Anti-choice and ablist in one fell swoop!

And always worth re-visiting in honor of Martin Luther King Jr., here’s his speech “The International Association For The Advancement Of Creative Maladjustment” (re-posted from my blog)

6. Posted January 16, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

I read a book documenting womens’ experiences with feminism which was all kinds of fabulous.

7. Posted January 17, 2012 at 6:49 am | Permalink

Go Nigeria! it’s a total shame of course they’ve called strike action off:

a youtube of what it might be about, beyond petrol prices:

our PM earns $470,000 a year. what does her government think those of us on welfare should get? this:

a brief report on s#!t our government does to refugees:

8. Posted January 22, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Lev Grossman’s a colossal douche. There’s a bunch of big name writers singing his praise, including Cory Doctorow who’s normally really progressive, and I’m perplexed.

It’s almost impossible to read The Magicians and see anything other than the infantile, predicable protagonist and his constant “Why don’t women love me (when I want)?”. And the main female character who exists only to perpetuate this. And the rape scene (where they’ve both become foxes, and thus incapable of acting rationally, or something). And everyone else who’s just as offensive. Grossman doesn’t say it’s ok, exactly, but it’s all portrayed as the excusable foibles of ‘flawed, human’ heroes.

I cringe to think of him being seen here as a figure of authority in the genre. I do not care who he’s recommending.