Chris Christie responds to hecklers with sexist blow-job joke

What’s a misogynist’s favorite way to shut a woman up? Oral sex jokes, of course. At least that’s the tack NJ Gov Chris Christie took with some hecklers at an event with Mitt Romney this past weekend. When a few women in the crowd yelled about jobs “going down,” Christie responded, “You know, something may be going down tonight, but it ain’t going to be jobs, sweetheart.”

This has widely been taken as a blowjob reference–although some dissenters read nothing sexual into it. Since his spokesman wouldn’t clarify what he meant, let’s assume that Christie is a sexist asshole. After all, this is is not the first time he’s lashed out at a woman who questioned him. Here’s a video of him lecturing a woman at a town hall meeting and admonishing her not to “giggle” if she wants an answer. And another outburst.

Of course, I care a lot more about Christie’s sexist policies than his sexist, off-hand comments. And there’s no ambiguity there: Last year, Christie cut $7.5 million in state family planning funding, forcing six clinics in the state to shut their doors. He stalled for months before finally signing a law to ensure rape victims don’t have to pay for their rape kits. It’s no wonder his approval rating among women voters dropped to a low of 36 percent this past summer.

I guess what I’m saying is: while silencing his critics with a crack about oral sex is not the most objectionable thing Christie’s ever done, it certainly doesn’t surprise me in the least.

1. Posted January 10, 2012 at 9:45 am | Permalink

I congratulate you on your honesty in pointing out that others have not seen the Christie crack as sexual; I know a lot of bloggers don’t allow their readers to see alternative viewpoints. I hear the phrase “something’s going down” as “something is happening.” I don’t know if the idiom is specific to the Northeast. As Ms. Larimore pointed out, the sexual activity you’re thinking of is generally described as “somebody going down,” not something.

• Posted January 10, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

I hear the same, as in “shit is going down”… but agree that at the very least the tone and use of “sweetheart” are totally creepy.

2. Posted January 10, 2012 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Yes, but “sweetheart”?

• Posted January 10, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Christie just baffles me

• Posted January 10, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Interested how we hear things differently. If a guy were using a particular type of cocky attitude toward a male heckler, he would probably use, “buddy,” which is slightly deprecative in this context. Towards a female heckler, I would probably also have used, “sweetheart,” in the same sense.

But I can be wrong, so I did some web searching, and everything I found as suggestions was worse: “babe”?? “hon”? Seriously. Search for “female equivalent of buddy.” You will not like the answers.

What would be a better term to use in this sense: not hostile, but slightly mocking? “Lady” sounds a bit too insulting and low class, I think.

• Posted January 10, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

How about just “friend”? That can certainly be used in a patronizing, sarcastic manner. But I probably would have used buddy anyway, even though it does have somewhat male connotations.

I’m not sure it’s possible to use gender-specific words to patronize and not be sexist in the process (and sweetheart, like “love”, “darling” or “hon”, isn’t gender-specific, but is mostly used for women anyway).

3. Posted January 10, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

For me, the statement becomes sexual with the use of the word “tonight”, which is most often equated with the time of day when sexual relations are had. Sure, you can definitely argue that what he said wasn’t sexual because he wasn’t specific about what really was “going down”, but the way in which he said it, made it seem incredibly sexual in my opinion.

• Posted January 10, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Yeah I agree with your interpretation of the governor including “tonight”. This is just more Republican subliminal messaging like Reagan talking about states’ rights in the Mississippi county where the civil rights workers were murdered.

4. Posted January 10, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

I understand the concern if the reference was sexual, however, “something going down tonight” in the northeast referes to a fight. Never heard anyone use it any other way.

• Posted January 11, 2012 at 11:48 am | Permalink

That was my interpretation (until I read this article) as well.