The truth about our wars

Ron Paul is a massive racist. I am absolutely not OK with that. Many of his views are incredibly dangerous. He should never ever ever be president.

I am also disgusted by the role of Super PACs in our political landscape. Citizens United was a terrible ruling from a Supreme Court that’s just as much in the pockets of big money as Congress and the White House. Super PACs are already making the Republican primary completely ridiculous, and I am not OK with that.

And you must watch this ad. It’s over the top, like all the political ads I’ve seen lately. But it delivers a message that is not just about the messenger. And it needs to be heard with an open mind to that message (though not to Ron Paul as president).

That’s some of the truth about President Obama’s wars. If you are an Obama supporter, or an Obama apologist, are you OK with that? I am not OK with any of the Republican candidates either (well, maybe Fred Karger). But I can’t support this president. I can’t lend my name, or my vote, to this foreign policy.

1. Posted January 9, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

Thanks for posting this. My libertarian-leaning fiance shared this with me a few weeks ago. While I have no plans on actually supporting Ron Paul, I really appreciate this ad.

2. Posted January 9, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

This ad is spot on and I haven’t heard anything like it from a “potential” presidential candidate, EVER. I am curious which candidate people DO plan on voting for since the options are seemingly limited?

3. Posted January 9, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

I think saying “president Obama’s wars” is an incredibly misleading statement. which wars are you attributing to president Obama? which wars did he personally declare and send troops to? if anything, this ad is outdated in parts of its message since Obama stuck to the Bush timeline and ended US military involvement in Iraq on schedule. to say the ad is over the top is true. to say its misleading would be true as well.

• Posted January 9, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Re: President Obama’s wars;

1. Libya.

2. Troop surge in Afghanistan.

3. The Obama Administration fought hard to keep their elevated troop levels in Iraq after the SOFA deadline, but the Iraqi government held firm and kept us to our word.

4. Expanded assassination programs in Yemen and Somalia – and that’s just what makes it to the papers.

Moreover, Obama has asserted the same executive prerogatives as Bush II, to hold people indefinitely without charge and kill Americans overseas without process or any kind of showing of evidence.

Anyway, I’m going to vote for Obama in 2012. Ultimately it’ll be him vs. Romney or something, and the fight for the US Presidency is always one for the lesser of two evils. But those of us who will vote for him should have no illusions – he’s cut from the same blood-soaked cloth as the rest of these guys, he’s just a little softer around the edges.

• Posted January 9, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

PS, Jos, if you really are too sickened by the main candidates to cast your vote for one of them (and I definitely get that), you should consider voting for a Green or other third party candidate to send a message. Or even going to the ballot box and writing “Not a Vote” or “Mic Check” or some similar protest vote: http://www.nycga.net/groups/political-and-electoral-reform/forum/topic/mike-check-for-president-a-nota-protest-vote/

If all the apathetic nonvoters went to the box and cast votes saying they didn’t like anyone in the race, it would send a much bigger message than just staying home. People stay home for all sorts of reasons.

• Posted January 9, 2012 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

I always vote, and I’ll be writing a lot more about the importance of other races this election. Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably be voting Green for president, though that’s the race I’m least focused on. I voted for Cynthia McKinney in 2008.

4. Posted January 9, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Well Ronnie, you just lost any consideration from me

5. Posted January 9, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Having worked with Dr. Paul, I have to say that calling him a racist is the farthest thing from the truth. The news letters in question were not written by him, but rather a man by the name of Lew Rockwell. http://reason.com/archives/2008/01/16/who-wrote-ron-pauls-newsletter

And if he was a racist why would he pay the medical bills of Black, Hispanics and other minorities when they couldn’t afford medical services, while he was practicing medicine? Here is just one story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rv0Z5SNrF4

And for fun:

While you are entitled to your opinions. I ask that you please research the subject a little more. Thank you.

6. Posted January 9, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

And now imagine if those people trying to chase the foreigners out had formerly been in power in this country, and had hosted men who killed thousands of the foreigners’ civilians in their own country. Imagine if the noble freedom fighters, while in power, had made it regular practice to stone women for eloping and imprisoned them for being raped. Imagine that even after the foreign troops drove the freedom fighters out of official power, the freedom fighters continued to threaten children for going to school, murder police officers, kill members of their own military, and enforce a parallel system of government predicated on their religious extremist laws. Imagine that the “freedom fighters” were knowingly placing bombs in roads which killed women and children, because every now and then they would also kill the foreign troops. Imagine that they were beating old men who stood up to them. Now imagine that the foreign troops were risking their own lives alongside our troops, fighting against the “freedom fighters” and trying to stop them from murdering community and religious leaders who supported the government.

I imagine that most Americans would not be thrilled to have foreign troops on our soil, but I imagine that most Americans would be less thrilled to have the reality of a powerful Taliban.

• Posted January 9, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

gotta say your response is the sort of response i feared ron pauls message would be(though i know he is typically good on foreign policy). it’s based on the sort of racist, sexist stereotypes that government heads usually use to vindicate their imperialist foreign policy- arabs/muslims are all conservative, they all want to impose sharia law everywhere, muslim women are incapable of fighting their own battles- they are merely passive victims, the arab people need the protection of these westerners, violence is part of their culture- without the civilising influence of white westerners they would all bomb the crap out of each other and my favourite- those muslims(today it’s muslims, yesterday it was russians and asians) are all gonna invade this country if we dont bomb theirs first. also i found it offensive both as an arab migrant to a western country and as a woman. spouting hysterical, paranoid stuff like that doesnt in any way advance arab rights, muslim rights or womens rights and, really, i’ve had enough of it in the last 10years to last me forever.
      seriously arab muslim women and arab people in general would be a lot better off without western militaries waging war over their heads in the same way the taliban is doing to them. also you are mistaken in thinking western military powers dont commit atrocities towards civilians, their own personnel and opposing forces. there are no humanitarian wars- this is so obviously economically based. by the way who trained osama exactly? and i’d just like to point out that under western colonialism in the middle east many oppressive laws were introduced eg. article 534 of the penal code in lebanon(it’s the least harmful i can think of) which punishes “unnatural” sex with 1 yr in gaol. western intervention? no thank you.
      that being said its nice seeing the democrats getting their share of criticism. not that i mind republicans being slammed all the time but spreading the love is a good thing.

7. Posted January 9, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

How can you call it Obama’s war when it was the previous administration that fabricated evidence of WMDs so they could invade Iraq? He’s not the one who put the troops over there and, yeah, he hasn’t removed them either, but you cannot lay at his door this whole fiasco.

8. Posted January 9, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

Two related video links to check out:

History of U.S. Intervention in Iran – 1953 Until Present

Judge Andrew Napolitano: What if Both Parties are the Same?

9. Posted January 9, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

I’m not sure about the general but this is why I am voting for Darcy Richardson in the Democratic primaries and if you care about peace and justice you should too.

10. Posted January 9, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

I unfortuantley disagree with you and have to say that Ron Paul is the best republican candiate we have. Some of his ideas may seem dangerious, but follow the constitution and would help eliminate some of the problems in our goverment right now.

And i love this ad, and i think it sheds a lot of light on the situation that we are currently facing when it comes to foreign policy, something that not really any of the candiates fully grasp.

11. Posted January 9, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Ron Paul seems to be the only candidate that doesn’t support the murder and execution of innocent living-breathing humans, which I can stand behind.

12. Posted January 9, 2012 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

Just shared the ad to facebook, with a couple of disclaimers: first, I felt a little itch of xenophobia about the ‘chinese troops’ thing after the whole ‘Jon Huntsman speaks Mandarin and has a Chinese daughter, oooh, scary!’ fiasco. Second, I support Ron Paul in this and pretty much nothing else; I’m glad that he’s bringing it into the spotlight, but I really hope he doesn’t win.

13. Posted January 9, 2012 at 11:54 pm | Permalink

This is an important ad. The military-industrial complex has been pushing us ever-onwards towards ceaseless war, and I wish more political candidates had the guts to stand up and suggest that this wasn’t a fait accompli, but a choice that we are making, and that we have the capability to make a different choice.

Ron Paul has to bear responsibility for some vile newsletters that went out under his name and contained a lot of horrifying racist crap. And I wish he would just come out and make an actual apology for the newsletters and explain why the racist nonsense in them is wrong — until that happens I think a lot of people won’t listen to him regardless of what else he does or says. But Ron Paul is right about some things, and this is one of them.

14. Posted January 10, 2012 at 5:52 am | Permalink

I think you have the wrong information about Ron Paul. If you really listen to him you will see that he is not rasict nor anti-gay. While he is personally against abortion, he is against a federal law concerning abortion.

15. Posted January 10, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Did anyone else notice the pairing of “women and children” in the ad? Why is that phrase in there? Do we need to stereotype women this way (casting them, in contrast to men, as intrinsically innocent, weak, child-like, and non-agentive) in order to make the overall argument in the ad? I don’t think so. Media folks, please take heed.

16. Posted January 10, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

That video is Yellow Peril-y as hell.