What We Missed

Wait isn’t this video, like, reverse racism?

Zerlina takes on Chris Brown and “the victim blaming machine” over at The Frisky.

Just in case you thought fat shaming was a US thing, French nutritionist Pierre Dukan says slim kids should be given better grades in school.

What do Ron Paul and Louis Farrakhan have in common? A must read from Ta-Nehisi Coates.

Y U Mad, Whiteboy?

Amazing. The internet is so much win right now.

1. Posted January 4, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

Is this site endorsing the shit girls say series? I sincerely hope not. While this video in particular may have a better concept, (i’m not going to watch it as previous ones upset me a lot) you can’t deny that the series has been sexist. There were all these jokes about women being silly, too emotional, weak, helpless, superficial, stupid, and the ‘women are bad with computers and technology’ trope. As well as the person crying and saying ‘put your hands on me again’ was triggering for me as an abuse survivor. Feministing is supposed to be a productive feminist site, and it’s really going to let me down if the site likes this stuff.

• Posted January 4, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

I also meant to add that the series is calling grown women girls.

• Posted January 5, 2012 at 10:29 am | Permalink

The actress states on the YouTube page that it’s a parody of the “Shit Girls Say” series.

• Posted January 5, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Oh, okay. That sounds pretty cool. Thanks for letting me know, I had no idea.

• Posted January 5, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

The shit girls say video is incredibly stupid and no, this video is not a continuation of it. Like Angel H said, it’s a parody. It’s actually pretty interesting, I think, because it points out the ignorance that white people often have of the unique experiences of POC because of the things that are often said without a second thought.

2. Posted January 5, 2012 at 7:51 am | Permalink

Nice how a bit of antisemitism is worked in. “Reverse racism” is still racism.

3. Posted January 6, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

“Shit Girls Say” was a really stupid, sexist video. However, I really enjoyed “Shit White Girls Say”. Its poking fun of racism (and no, its not reverse racism like people on Youtube are claiming, because such shit does not exist!)

• Posted January 6, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Wait a second… it’s not racist because sometimes the generalities are true?

Yes, it’s poking fun at the racism that the artist has experienced in her own life. But in the process of doing so, the artist is perpetuating stereotypes about ditzy white girls (be they blonde or not). As a woman, I’d rather not see those stereotypes perpetuated by another woman.

• Posted January 9, 2012 at 9:39 am | Permalink

Because all women have the same privileges as every other woman, right?