Quick Hit: Newt Gingrich tells gay voter to vote for Obama

Well, at least he’s being open with his bigotry:

Scott Arnold is an associate professor of writing at William Penn University. He is also gay. And today, he approached Newt Gingrich at an event in Oskaloosa, Iowa, where he asked the former Speaker whether he’s earned the support of gay Americans. The Des Moines Register’s Jason Clayworth reports:

“I asked him if he’s elected, how does he plan to engage gay Americans. How are we to support him? And he told me to support Obama,” said Arnold. […]

Fox has the transcript of the encounter. It’s no big news that Gingrich is anti-LGBT, but I do think it’s a pre-hetty bold statement to make to gay voters (especially LGB Republicans) and marriage equality supporters out there: if that’s an important issue for you, don’t bother voting for him.

As Think Progress points out, Newt’s gay sister is apparently right on the dime.

Pic via.

1. Posted December 21, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

That is totally moronic of him to say. I sometimes wonder whether Gingrich intends to be elected. Some of the talking heads say this is just a promotional tour, not a campaign.

Even the most insincere Republican knows the art of posturing to LGBT voters. I’m amazed. I probably shouldn’t be, because he’s Newt Gingrich. If he intends to stem the bleeding as he continues to lose support, this is not the way to do it.

• Posted December 22, 2011 at 4:15 am | Permalink

actually i think this is the smartest thing he has said in… well ever. gay people- don’t vote for this man. other people- dont vote for him either. and please don’t point out to him that this is not the way to stem the bleeding- he might realise the error of his ways and start posturing. then again why would he be here? too many left wing ideas, too few conservative bigots.

2. Posted December 21, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

And maybe I will Newt…
    I don’t get it Newt, how come its so bad for me to want to get married my Princess Charming, for Tom and Dick to raise little Harry, for Marcia to be able to live happily as Martin, and why can you dump your wives as soon as they get sick with your mistresses?

• Posted December 22, 2011 at 9:15 am | Permalink

What he is saying is that gay people (the minority) should vote for Obama and everybody else (the majority) for him. There is still Mitt, but he is not a protestang (or are mormons protestants too?).

What I dont get is, why do gay people want legal marriage so badly. I would be thrilled if I could have a religious marriage ceremony, without it having to be “legal” as well and involving the state in my marriage, up to the point where the state can rule how assets are devided in case the union breaks up. Id rather grand my partner rights and priviledges as I see fit, rather than taking the “one size fits all”. Because some men see a spouse staying at home as an asset which should be entitled to half of everything that is accrued in a marriage, not all men see a spouse who chooses to not pursue a career or hold a job that way.

• Posted December 24, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Its about equal rights.

Plus, marriage comes with legal benefits. What if a couple wants these legal benefits, but does not have the legal right to get married?

Some people, gay or straight, can choose not to get married if they don’t want to. And that’s fine. But when you don’t have the same options as a straight person, well, that’s not equality.

3. Posted December 22, 2011 at 4:59 am | Permalink

Its also an underhanded way of reminding people that voting for obama is gay.