What We Missed

The touching story of a family at the center of a transgender rights battle in Maine.

In response to the earlier piece about not protesting at Occupy: Why I am protesting at Occupy.

Yo, is this racist?

1. Posted December 13, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

I loved that article about the family with the transgender daughter! And I was doubly happy to recognize my alma mater as the progressive high school the kids now attend. I’m proud to have gone there and it sounds like things are the same as when I went to that liberal utopia.

2. Posted December 13, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

I had the tragedy today of someone posting the link to Keli Goff’s inane yammerings and muddled half-points on HuffPo to a feminist group on Facebook I belong too. I can only hope that once scientists resolve this Higgs-boson thing that’s been the rage this week they turn to the study of time so that I may one day get that five minutes of my life back. I suppose I did also use some minutes of my life posting a response there regarding the use of certain design elements and color filters in the PA Liquor board poster, and calling her out on her instigative generalizations (Feminists are “afraid”). Her tweet here seems to suggest more of the same ASSumptiveness – not only has she polled all feminists to find their opinions are fear based, she apparently is privy to Feministing’s status counters? Wow! Busy! No wonder she didn’t have time to think through the point she was trying to make, that yes, drinking enough alcohol to black out can make people vulnerable. I don’t think anyone here would argue that.

The problem though, and reason I call it a half-point, is that campaigns like this seem to act like drinking till you black out can only make women and girls vulnerable, and only to rape. What about discussing any of the countless other risks or misfortunes that can happen when you drink too much? What about telling guys about these same risks (including the possibility of, but not limited to, rape) that can occur when you drink to that point ?(oh wait, I forgot, boys don’t get raped, the Culture said so ). And like I said before, how about a campaign raising awareness about the importance of consent, and the ability to consent, and putting the responsibility to not act inappropriately on potential rapists instead? Yeah yeah, I know she had something in her article about how we should all make our own campaigns instead, and while I’m a fan of the D.I. Y. philosophy, I’m also aware that most of us don’t likely have the funds or means to create and print up a professionally done poster and purchase billboard/ad space to have the reach that this did.Though I suppose it doesn’t matter, since that came across more like a passive-aggressive implication that those who disagree with her do nothing, than an actual attempt at a constructive suggestion. Oh well.

3. Posted December 13, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

I just stopped and read the entire archive of Yo, is this racist in the middle of my work day.

• Posted December 14, 2011 at 10:58 am | Permalink

There is so much awesome in that tumblr. I actually fell asleep at my computer last night trying to read every last post. Managed to finish it over coffee this morning.

4. Posted December 13, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

That tumblr is awesome. Now searching for “Is this sexist/homophobic/etc” hmmm

5. Posted December 13, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

I was so moved by the story of the family in Maine fighting for their daughter’s rights. She sounds like a really cool kid with an awesome family. I wish them the best!