Who Will Speak for the Closeted Christmas-Celebrators? Rick Perry, that’s who!

Who will speak for the persecuted Christians?

“I’m not ashamed to admit that I’m a Christian…But you don’t have to be in the pew every Sunday to know that there’s something wrong in this country when gays can serve openly in the military, but our kids can’t openly celebrate Christmas or pray in school. As president, I’ll end Obama’s war on religion, and I’ll fight against liberal attacks on our religious heritage.”

That would be Rick Perry, who, in his latest campaign ad, laments that, thanks to that Muslim-atheist-Nazi-Communist Obama, we live in a world run by the gays and secularists… a world in which our children keep their Christmas wreaths and ornaments under their beds, hide their Christmas trees behind huge overgrown menorahs, and unwrap their Christmas gifts furtively in the closet or, even worse, in the anonymous shadows of nightclubs where they seek out other marginalized people who engage in conspicuous consumption and mainstream monotheism.

and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted December 8, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

This is just pandering, plain and simple. And it’s not even good pandering. Perry’s campaign won’t be around much longer. I could talk here about how Jesus spoke about loving your enemy. Rather than self-righteously demanding justice, the point is to be justice by your actions.

2. Posted December 8, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

You know that there’s something wrong in this country when this assclown can run for office!

3. Posted December 8, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Dear Rick Perry,

Stop it. Just…Shh! Stop it now!

Signed,
    A Christian

4. J
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Cant openly celebrate Christmas? Is he fucking kidding? Turn on a TV or walk into any fucking store mere HOURS after thanksgiving and tell me who isn’t able to openly celebrate Christmas. The shit is a god damn blitzkrieg on the senses.

• Posted December 8, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

it’s implied they cant openly celebrate christmas in school or pray (thought they do “prey” to the USA and the state of texas). meaning that most schools have holiday parties, not exclusively christmas parties. there was a thing several years ago in a north texas suburb that a kid wasnt able to hand out a retrodictive poem about the “true” meaning of candy canes – and it turned into “proof” of the war on christmas.

i live in a small texas town of 4000 people and we have 8 christian churches that i know of (there’s probably a few store front ones im skipping.)

honestly, i think the sir doth protest too much.

• Posted December 8, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

I know. People who think that there is a war on religion, or Christmas, must have their heads so far up their assess they can’t see the strings of lights and bows that have been in every chain store since Halloween.

• Posted December 8, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

Thanksgiving? Most places I see get out their christmas decorations out right after halloween! Hell, starbucks had their holiday cups before then! Rick, Don’t say kids can’t celebrate openly. It’s a national holiday, no other religion gets that. There isn’t a war on christmas, people just wanna share the table, but christmas has bad manners and won’t put down it’s elbows.

5. Posted December 8, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Youtube Community Guidelines: “•We encourage free speech and defend everyone’s right to express unpopular points of view. But we don’t permit hate speech (speech which attacks or demeans a group based on race or ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, veteran status, and sexual orientation/gender identity).”
    Well, Mr. Perry, for your attempt to demean people based on their sexual orientation I have flagged your video and I hope I’m not the only one to do so. Something wrong with this country, indeed…

6. Posted December 8, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

doods. he’s wearing his serious brush-clearing-im-folksy jacket. he must be believed.

• Posted December 9, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

FWIW, quite a few FB friends I have who identify as queer or transgendered, were quite quick to point out today that his brush-clearing-im-folksy jacket was identical to one worn by one of the gay cowboys in “Brokeback Mountain”. I’d never seen the movie myself, but there were more than enough stills posted!

7. Posted December 8, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Is he serious? I can’t even enjoy my favorite Halloween festivities without hearing about Christmas coming. And at my job at a warehouse, we’re shipping Christmas stuff in August. If this is closeted celebrating, I’d hate to know what celebrating openly is.

8. Posted December 8, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

Oh god.

He’s like the Christian version of an MRA… actually believing that he’s being oppressed.

9. Posted December 8, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

I live in Iowa, but I watch all of my TV online so I don’t get to see a lot of commercials. This morning I was at the gym, where they have a bank of 5 TVs in from of the cardio equipment, all runed to different channels, at one point this commercial was on 3 of the 5 TVs at the same time! It was creepy.

I just moved here in August and this is the first time I will be in a state that (kind of) matters. I am very excited for the caucuses in a month. I registered as a republican to get in on the action. I still haven’t decided who to back, yet. Not Newt or Perry, absolutely not Santorum (ewww!) I really wanted to back Sarah Palin (because I like her performance art) but I don’t think I could support Bachmann. I think I am stuck with Huntsman. Or maybe I will write in Parry (with an “A”).

10. Posted December 8, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

I’m sorry, but is it actually illegal to pray in school? Because I thought it was the whole forcing kids to pray in school that was the problem. I’ve gone to school after laws banning that were passed, and I’ve seen kids pray by themselves, silently bowing their heads and occasionally hearing a light “amen” before they lift their heads again. I know teachers have noticed and I’ve never seen a kid get in trouble for that. Of course, it would make sense if the kid was praying instead of listening to the teacher give a lesson or take a test to punish them, but I’ve only seen kids pray in a free time, like before class, at lunch, recess, or just when we had nothing to do.

It’s also not about keeping kids from celebrating Christmas, it’s about being inclusive. There are students of different religions, no religions, and students who just don’t believe in celebrating Christmas for individual reasons. Public schools don’t have the right to force Christmas on them, plain and simple. Nobody, especially a politician meant to represent the people, should be self-centered to the point of seeing respect of those different from them as an affront. And, of course, there’s nothing wrong with gay people serving in the military. What’s wrong with this guy?

11. Posted December 9, 2011 at 12:24 am | Permalink

My God save us from Rick Perry please……Okay everybody, I come from a Catholic family (difficult if you’re coming to terms with your lesbianism) and often hear of this crap from a few DEVOUT relatives. I have a cousin that likes that “Kung Pao Buckaroo Christmas” song and recently my Aunt told me that Catholic Radio told her that if someone says “Happy Holidays” to you, say “Merry Christmas” right back because it shows that you are a Christian. I said that “Happy Holidays” is a polite term to use in general with people and that if you were personally close to a person, you can be specific. And that saying “Merry Christmas” instead “Happy Holidays” doesn’t equal a Good Christian, like a person that uses those “HONK if you love Jesus” bumper stickers and flips off the person that honks behind them.

12. Posted December 12, 2011 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Not only is Christmas everywhere as early as mid-October, but let’s not forget that it is so institutionalized in our society that most academic institutions have 2 semesters separated by “Christmas” or “winter” break. Even in elementary school, before school was broken up into semesters, the year was still broken in half by certain vacations, a longer one that you can call winter break as much as you want but it was clearly for Christmas, and don’t forget spring break, which usually landed conveniently on Easter. Holidays are for families, and clearly there is ample vacation time for Christians to celebrate with their families at home ON VACATION!
    Meanwhile, growing up in NY, sometimes we got 3-day weekends for certain Jewish holidays, but nothing in comparison.

Beyond how much you say Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays or what color your classroom decorations are, this guy is just such an imbecile for not understanding the Christian privilege that he espouses.