Weekly Feminist Reader: Open Thread

Thanks to a busy week filled with pumpkin pie and good friends, this week’s Reader is just an open thread.

What have you been reading/writing/watching/learning this week? And what are you thankful for?

1. Posted November 27, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

This Thanksgiving, did you find yourself arguing with your brother about how best to brine the turkey or passive-aggressively switching your grandmother’s seating chart? You’re not alone. This week I wrote about how family discord is expressed through food preparation in Gurinder Chadha’s Thanksgiving film What’s Cooking? at The Love Machine.

2. Posted November 27, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Permalink
    • Posted November 28, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

This is interesting to me in that in terms of urban homesteading/farming/ etc. and developing awareness of where our food comes from and the impact in terms of health, consumerism, environmental footprint. There is a small-but-burgeoning movement of this sort of thing in Brooklyn which I tend to view more as a small-but-radical act in becoming more conscientious about how we use space and resources, than a throwback to traditional roles. Or maybe it’s simply leading to a way to realize that things once viewed as “women’s work” actually have a value that made it a mistake to diminish these activities in the first place?

3. Posted November 27, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Permalink
  4. Posted November 27, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

Well, this past Tuesday, my fiance and I partook of the “Man As Object: Reversing the Gaze” exhibit in San Francisco. For those of you who didn’t see the link to it posted here when it first opened on November 4th (my birthday!) it is an art exhibit by female and transgender artists about reversing the social hierarchy of objectification and sexualization.
    It was absolutely fascinating. I plan on making a full blog about this at some point. My fiance walked out of there feeling, “affronted.” But he says that just means that he gets the point and the exhibit did it’s job right.

5. Posted November 27, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Permalink
  6. Posted November 28, 2011 at 12:43 am | Permalink

Been reading both Steig Larsson’s Millennium trilogy and Suzanne Collins Hunger Games trilogy. And I’m thankful for being born in a country where it’s a given right that I’ll get an education, be guaranteed an ability to read, and the freedom to read any book I damn well please.

• Posted November 29, 2011 at 2:21 am | Permalink

I absolutely love the Millenium Trilogy! I recommend the Swedish films as well. I actually have the dragon tattoo from the movie tattooed on my right side.

7. Posted November 28, 2011 at 10:07 am | Permalink

I’m reading -Outdated-, Samhita’s new book, and I can’t put it down! It’s helped me discover the language to describe why I feel the way I do about relationships, and giving me more confidence to do relationships on MY terms, not heteronormative terms. And guess what, I just asked a guy out last night! Go me!