What George Clooney said

George Clooney in front of an American flag

Image via

As if there weren’t already a million reasons for me to love George Clooney (I’m not the only one right?), Mr. Clooney has articulated clearly why for the 2012 election cycle there really isn’t another choice except President Obama.

No, Obama isn’t perfect. In fact, he has fallen short of (some) expectations. I know a lot of folks are disappointed.

But the idea of a President Rick Perry or Michele Bachmann or Herman Cain or Willard “Mitt” Romney scares me straight. Seriously folks, all of the GOP candidates want to repeal healthcare reform. All of them (except for Romney who wants to allow states to waive participation). Not to mention The Supremes aren’t getting any younger. Do you want Michele Bachmann to appoint the person to replace Justice Ginsburg? I know I don’t.

So that said, let me leave it to my future ex-husband Mr. Clooney to explain why he supports President Obama and why he just wishes the Obama administration would sell his accomplishments better so that people could truly appreciate all the good things President Obama has done. Which is a lot.

About the 2012 race Clooney told ABC News, “I’m disillusioned by the people who are disillusioned by Obama, quite honestly, I am…Democrats eat their own. Democrats find singular issues and go, ‘Well, I didn’t get everything I wanted.’ I’m a firm believer in sticking by and sticking up for the people whom you’ve elected…If he was a Republican running, because Republicans are better at this,” Clooney continued, “they’d be selling him as the guy who stopped 400,000 jobs a month from leaving the country. They’d be selling him as the guy who saved the auto-industry. If they had the beliefs, they’d be selling him as the guy who got rid of ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,’ who got Osama bin Laden. You could be selling this as a very successful three years.”

What Clooney said.

1. Posted October 13, 2011 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Really, Feministing? The age-old, “liberals are cannibals,” thing? Because progressives are disenfranchised with the guy who ran as a progressive and then, once elected, extended and escalated all of the most heinous Bush-era policies? Because progressives are wary of the guy Wall Street bid on over the Republican? I’ll agree that Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’s repeal was fabulous, but remember this is the guy who capitulated with the anti-choicers with a symbolic executive order banning federal funds for abortion.

• Posted October 13, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

I have to agree with Mike. Obama isn’t acting like a Democrat. Sure, he pushed through some great things, but the bottom line is that repealing ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,’ as great as that is, it isn’t stopping wars, helping feed America’s hungry or creating jobs. So while blowing sunshine up “liberal” asses with that kind of stuff is great, it’s not doing a damn thing to help us.

I expect more from this site than this contrived, towing the party-line bullshit. I don’t owe Obama a damn thing – least of all my allegiance – so stop asking that I give it just because he labels himself a Democrat. What pure and utter bullshit.

• Posted October 13, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Where was that argument made in the OP?

No one is saying that Obama is perfect or progressive, they are saying that he is the only realistic choice for president. I am curious, given your ire in response to the article, who you would rather we cast our ballots for? Merely restating Mr. Obama’s imperfections or deviations from our progressive ideals does little to answer that practical question.

• Posted October 13, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

I think it’s pretty clear what the argument is saying. Yeah, Obama might have sold us out, but suck it up and deal with it…he’s a “Democrat.”

And my opinion from the Feministing community is that they they would put Obama under the progressive umbrella, but that is merely my opinion based on the posts related to him.

I don’t have an answer for who we should vote for instead of Obama, nor did I say that I wouldn’t vote for him. But I am really sick of the left trying to make Obama into something he isn’t. And I don’t think he is the only realistic choice for President. He’s one of the only choices right now.

2. Posted October 13, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Obama is not perfect and I think it entirely justified to criticize him. Unlike many, I never had my expectations set to the stratosphere as some did. He has been an ineffective leader across the board and the seed of doubt has been planted in my mind. It’s just a bit disheartening to think of him in terms as John Kerry or Al Gore, circa 2000. Both of these candidates I voted for specifically for their legislative impact, not for their executive authority.

I will most likely vote for Obama, though without much conviction. A Republican in the White House would be too detrimental to the progressive agenda. He needs to be increasingly concerned not that he might lose the General Election roughly a year, but that he might draw a primary challenge from the Left. The lower his poll numbers go, the more likely it is that there will be a belief that Obama in any form is vulnerable.

Sometimes liberals do eat their own, but I don’t see this in evidence here. I know many people whose very jobs depend on a Democratic President, and that’s why I keep pulling the Democratic lever. But I’m still looking for a President in my lifetime who could be considered great. My grandparents idolized FDR and I wish we had someone like him.

3. Posted October 13, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

I consider myself liberal/progressive (though not a Democrat. Or a Republican). However, I didn’t vote for Obama in 2008 (nor did I vote for McCain, and please spare me the “you wasted your vote” bullshit), and I don’t plan to vote for him in 2012. If only he would be primaried, and if only third party candidates would get more attention from the mainstream and independent press so people would see there are more than two options out there for them.

Yeah, the repeal of DADT is fantastic, something to celebrate. Extending the war in Afghanistan, lack of job creation, essentially ending federal funding for abortion (and gaining love from the forced motherhood/anti-choice crowd in the process), and essentially personifying the Who lyric, “Meet the new boss / Same as the old boss”? Not so much.

• Posted October 13, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

“please spare me the “you wasted your vote” bullshit”

It’s not clear why this criticism is “bullshit,” when, in the reality of US politics, voting for a third party candidate amounts to voting for someone who will not win. I am no fan of the two party system, but it is the context in which we are voting. I would rather vote to move a little way toward progressive politics and away from the regressive morass of the current GOP than vote for someone with no chance of victory. Disclaimer: I’m no fan of Obama, the Democratic Party, or the two party system.

4. Posted October 13, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

While in some aspects he may disappoint, Obama has improved my quality of life since he’s been president. Healthcare reform, and the expansion of Pell grants are very personally helpful to me and many others, and I will appreciate that. Yes, the economy is pretty bad now, but he has worked to create jobs, and he’s stuck with a Congress that’s no help, from both parties too. He’s most certainly better than any Republican president would be right now, and I’m terrified of any of them taking office and taking away my health insurance. So yeah, I’m definitely voting for him, and hope that the liberal base sticks with him instead of just sitting back and letting someone worse be president because they’re disappointed. I’m skeptical of Obama and his ties to Wall Street, but I’m much more certain that a Republican would be detrimental to the progress Obama’s already made.

5. Posted October 13, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

I know Obama has done some awesome things. But I saw how much harm No Child Left Behind did and I was hoping to get a reversal and some sensible policy. Instead, under Obama, we have NCLB-on-steroids (aka Race to the Top). I feel absolutely betrayed.

At this point, I really don’t know what I’ll do come election time.

6. Posted October 14, 2011 at 11:45 am | Permalink

So basically if the President doesn’t somehow manage to push every single democratic/liberal agenda piece through a Republican congress in 4 years or less, he’s a failure and a worse choice than any other candidate? Whew- those are some pretty unrealistic expectations. Government is a slow and cumbersome process, (unless you’re Cheney and you eat the Constitution for breakfast) filled with compromises and caveats, and I think it’s unreasonable to expect everything to be rainbows and sunshine less than four years after Bush gutted, hobbled and dismantled the country. You can’t fix broken in one term, and I’m sure glad that job wasn’t left up to McCain and Palin.

7. Posted October 14, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

So Ron Paul does not exist and is just a figment of my imagination?

• Posted October 14, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Brüno, I’m not sure what point you’re making.
      Are you trying to say that Ron Paul is a better candidate than Obama?

If so, I have three points with which to start. First off, since this is a feminist website, after all, let’s begin with his unequicoval opposition to reproductive rights for women. He claims (a) it’s a states’ rights issue (and thus opposes Roe v Wade) and yet opposes it to such a degree that he (b) voted for the Partial Birth Abortion Ban of 2008 (despite that being contrary to his states’ rights argument).

Next, he’s *cough* courageously *cough* stepped forward in his opposition to the Civil Rights Act of 1964. I mean, he was the only one out there saying this – is that having a backbone or being out of touch?

Finally, he didn’t even win a single state in the 2008 primary. If we’re going to go for folks who are unelectable, why not candidates who aren’t regressive in their politics?

I could go on further (his arguments for having the 10 Commandments in state buildings, that, um, “the churches” should take care of sick people)… Sure, he’s got some good points, but even Rick Perry promoted some really great immigration legislation. Doesn’t mean he’s going to get my vote.