Restore your fragile masculinity with deep fried factory farmed chicken!

This spectacularly subtle ad is currently airing on Australian TV, reminding men that their masculine identities are so fragile that they can be destroyed by one single sweater, and so insubstantial that they can be restored with a bucket of chicken.

Yeah! Dudes! Manly dudes in t-shirts! Dudes eating fried chicken! Dudes denigrating vaguely feminine things, and each other! Dudes being portrayed as so deeply insecure that they can’t handle wearing a pink sweater without freaking the fuck out! Dudes, how are you not insulted by this shit?
Transcript below the jump.

Emasculated bro in pink: Hey, guys. You remember Sarah.
Masculinity-policing bro 1: Nice jumper, mate. Do they make it for men?
V/O: With loads of original recipe chicken, wicked wings and heaps of sides, The Pack from KFC gets you back on side with your man clan.

1. Posted September 9, 2011 at 10:57 am | Permalink

So I know this isn’t a vegan post but it did remind me of the kind of crap that vegan (and vegetarian) men have to go through. My husband is vegan (and so is my son as well as myself) and he hasn’t come up against too much trouble because he doesn’t hang out with.. well the types of guys from the video… but he has had some passive aggressive jabs as his masculinity. For my son’s birthday we invited his family and when we offered my brother in law (my husband’s sister’s husband) something to eat my husband’s sister stepped in and said “no, he’ll get something later. he’s a man- he needs his meat”- right to my husband’s face. We were both pretty pissed about it. I’m so sick of fast food ads that make it out like men aren’t real men unless they eat nothing but meat and potatoes.

• Posted September 9, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

I’m not a vegan or vegetarian. But if I were invited to your home and got to eat your food, I’d be getting seconds. And happy that you’ve took the risk of letting me in. Plus sounds like your sister-in-law forgot she and your husband are adults now and she needs to act the part.
      Plus your husband sounds bad-ass with what he puts up with

2. Posted September 9, 2011 at 11:04 am | Permalink

I’ve always felt that this is one of our biggest threats to feminism today: This unrelenting fear of femininity. Just once I’d like to see a commercial that actually encourages men to not be afraid of femininity, and not at the expense of a joke.

3. Posted September 9, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Since when did eating deep fried chicken from a huge bucket become a “manly” thing to do? I do it all the time, but so far I’m still a woman.

4. Posted September 9, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

There’s nothing especially logical about gender policing or masculinity fears. It’s purely emotional. I have often found ads like this offensive, but what is more offensive are the men who never have any reason to question why this is unacceptable.

5. Posted September 9, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Assuming you could garner traits from the food you consume – what traits exactly would one garner from factory farmed, bred-to-be-passive, overfed creatures that live brief lives cramped together in filthy conditions and then are unceremoniously killed without a chase or fight? Eat meat or don’t as your choices dictate, but don’t pretend consuming KFC is some act or virility or strength (or whatever “masculinity” is currently being defined as.)

Secondly, my issue as far as “fear of femininity” goes is not simply because the sweater is pink, but because the guy obviously looks uncomfortable, while the woman looks somewhat smug. It implies that she’s forcing him to wear something that for whatever reason, he doesn’t like. There’s a notion that she, or perhaps all women, are unreasonable and don’t have any regard for their partners’ personal tastes or comfort. I can’t imagine I or my husband demanding the other wear or do something they really don’t like, but this kind of communication between opposite sexes doesn’t seem to exist here. (On the other hand, his communication with the “man clan” seems to consist of mockery, not support, which is only placated when he gets them their bucket of chicken. I think guy-in-pink needs to ditch everybody in this commercial and find a more supportive circle of friends and partner!)

6. Posted September 9, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

It is a commercial for food. If you dont have an opinion about the commercial one way or the other, do what you normally would do.

If you like the commercial, go out and buy some food to show support.

If you don’t like the commercial, make it a point not to buy any food from that store.

Talk with your money. Until you do that companies have no reason to change as they are not losing any money, just gaining free publicity.

7. Posted September 9, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

Great…to be a Man you must eat really fatty hormone-filled meat from a chain restaurant instead of maybe cooking the damn chicken yourself.

8. Posted September 9, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Permalink
  9. Posted September 9, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

And another point. What IS it about masculinity that makes a man a good person? Sure, it may help one fit in to the rest of the mindless crowd, but is it really self-improving and virtuous? I’ll let the mansplainer trolls stammer at my question.