The cutest little IUD you ever did see

IUD made of copper coin Seriously, German designer Ronen Kadushin’s open-source concept for new IUD design made out of a one-cent copper coin is adorable and–with a price tag of just €1.25–a steal.

Kadushin’s design isn’t actually workable–yet. (REPEAT: Do NOT try to put this little bear head in your uterus!) But, like Jenna at Jezebel, I’m excited to see the IUD getting the attention.

I became an IUD evangelist about a day after I got my Mirena, which was–not at all coincidentally–around the time the cramping from the insertion stopped. Over the past two years, my fondness for that magical little “T” in my uterus has only grown with each day that I spend forgetting that it’s there. The thrill of not getting my period every month and not having that mean I’m pregnant truly never gets old.

Of course, there are pros and cons to any form of birth control and the IUD isn’t for everyone. But it’s definitely due for a comeback. While the percentage of American contraception users with an IUD has reached 5.5% in recent years (up from just 1.3% back in 1995), the numbers still seriously lag behind much of the rest of the world.

Last month, Amanda Marcotte speculated that IUDs may see a spike in popularity thanks to no co-pay insurance coverage of birth control. In the U.S., an IUD can cost more than $1,000 out-of-pocket–a sum that is pretty cheap when divided over 5 or 10 years but really damn expensive upfront. Removing that cost barrier for some women will be a good first step. Cheap and accessible IUDs for everyone in the future? Even better.

1. Posted September 7, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

One of my good friends had a very difficult time adjusting to the IUD, but once a month or so had subsided, everything was fine. The issue with her is that she’s prone to frequent migraine headaches, and they were triggering them. No one could ever figure out why, but she may be an unusual case.

2. Posted September 7, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

“Do NOT try to put this little bear head in your uterus!”

Now that’s a warning you don’t hear often. =o

3. Posted September 7, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Ohhh They look like Mickey Mouse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Posted September 7, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

Brings a whole new meaning to “hidden mickey.”

4. Posted September 7, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

Does anyone know if this IUD — if it is ever usable — or any other up-and-coming designs of IUDs are smaller than the standards used in the US today? My uterus is a little too shallow for those, but I’d love to use an IUD if I could.

5. Posted September 7, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

And it prevents cancer! :D

Back in the day, when ladies were having more babies, breastfeeding longer, and not living past 50, they had just 1/4 of the periods women today do. Turns out each period increases the chances of uterine and ovarian cancer, because of the constant damage each ovary undergoes when an egg bursts out of it (seriously, it bursts out).

So really, any reversible method that allows for fewer (or no) periods is the way for women who don’t want to have children (whether ever or not now) to have a healthier, longer life. What’s not to love? :D

6. Posted September 7, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

I have a paragard IUD (no hormones) so I still get periods… the biggest con was the first three periods, which were much heavier. However, like stated in this post, I absolutely love the no-hassle aspect of them. Once you weather through your body balancing out… it’s an easy ride. I got mine at a Planned Parenthood when I was a college student so my income made it practically free. I wish there was more work done to bring awareness to how awesome IUDs are… they are such a GREAT, frugal, and effective option.

7. Posted September 8, 2011 at 12:59 am | Permalink

I’ve had mine for 3 months and I still have my period. It seems to be the same medium heaviness but with fewer other negative effects. So I do love it still. It IS painful going in but after that initial horrible-ness, there is five years of no worrying.