Finally a beer just for women!

Picture of a six pack of "Chick" with a pink and black label

Finally a beer just for women, reads the tagline of the website for chick, a new “premium light beer” marketed toward women. In case you miss the female reference in the beer’s name, the pink and black six-pack case might alert you, as it’s decorated to look like a purse. And if somehow you miss all of those signals, there is the little black dress replete with hourglass figure on the bottle itself.

On why she decided to create a beer marketed toward women, chick founder Shazz Lewis had this to say:

Their whole thing is that we don’t need a beer specifically for women and I’m like, ‘Why not?’ The beer industry has been for men for so long. But it’s changing all around — the NFL has that whole line of female jerseys, and Harley has bikes for women. I say, ‘Don’t get so upset. Just relax, it’s beer.’

I wouldn’t say I’m upset. More like annoyed, and tired of the ridiculous gendering of products. Beer marketing is notoriously male-focused and sexist (super bowl anyone?), so I’m all for new advertising that doesn’t fall into sexist stereotypes. This beer unfortunately just swings the other direction–trying to reach women via outdated stereotypes about what women want. Witness the chickness! says the six pack. Witness me puking a little bit in my mouth.

Chick isn’t the first alcoholic beverage to go in this direction. Skinnygirl cocktails is a new (and extremely successful) product out on the market thanks to Bethenny Frankel, a reality tv star. I think gendered marketing is silly and serves simply to reinforce the gender binary that gets reinforced so much that we’re practically getting beaten over the head with it.

In response to the question of what makes this beer “girly,” Shazz said, “It’s very mellow. It has a little less carbonation so it doesn’t make you burp. There’s no bitterness, and I think that was the big appeal for women.”

Photo via Village Voice

1. Posted September 2, 2011 at 10:38 am | Permalink

No bitterness? Less carbonation? Stunningly obnoxious marketing? No thank you, this kind of doesn’t sound like beer to me.

Magic Hat, please.

2. Posted September 2, 2011 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Speaking of gender marketing, have you seen the new BIC for her pen line. Every time I see them I try to figure out why I need a for her line of pens. Are all the other pens only for boys? Am I too delicate to write with a pen that isn’t smoothed out and flowery? It baffles me.

3. Posted September 2, 2011 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Ugh. Spot on analysis – I love me some advertising without sexist stereotypes but this swings the pendulum too far. Also, the idea that I need a beer just for women implies that all other beer is, in fact, the purview of men. So in her nice little roundabout way, Lewis is actually confirming the stereotypes of male-centered advertising; the very thing she is purportedly trying to change.

Also, less carbonation and it’s mellow? I enjoy a nice pale lager just fine but I also love my ipas, my porters and my stouts, too. And there is nothing on earth that I enjoy so much as a good belch. So take that and shove it in your little six-pack purse, Ms. Lewis, and come back when you’ve realized that all beer is for women.

4. Posted September 2, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

I recently discovered a group I hope can be the antidote to this kind of vile marketing. Womenenjoyingbeer.com is an organization that both encourages female beer enthusiasm and consults with industry on authentic and non-offensive ways to market beer to women. Their events are fantastic and anyone in the Oregon should definitely check them out!

5. Posted September 2, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Hmm… nah, I’m just gonna have my Guinness here. It’s carbonated and bitter, for the bubbly, snarky lady, and it’s all hops and sharpness, to suit the feminine personality that all women have.

Man, I love assuming my personal tastes are universally shared by those who share certain arbitrary categories with me.

6. Posted September 2, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

I prefer to let the market decide with these sorts of products. If lots of women buy this and like it and it does well, then at best we can criticize the culture which makes it successful, but can hardly blame a business person for trying to make money off a product that is in demand.

I also wouldn’t want to take something away from women (assuming there are any) who are actually happy about this product and like it.

7. Posted September 2, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

I thought as an artist I could visualize anything, even things that are imaginary. Until I got to “me, sitting in the corner punk-biker-art-damage-derelict-joint-I-found-to-replace-Mars, with THIS THING in my hand.” Then I just couldn’t picture it.

Plus yeah, the description of it’s flavor doesn’t sound appealing.

8. Posted September 2, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

There’s no bitterness, and I think that was the big appeal for women.

This sentence is such crap. What appeal? How about the novel idea that women drink regular beer all the time, ignoring that the marketing isn’t aimed at them because they are quite used to that, thank you so much.

You won’t be getting more marketshare by saying: this beer is for women, look at that packaging, no man would buy this so obviously women will. Have the guts for once to market regular beer at women, I dare you, beer people.

9. Posted September 2, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

The number of comments here tells me that Feministing needs to have its own beer club. I’ll suggest our first tasting: straight outta the Twin Cities, it’s Surly Cynic-Ale!

(Not kidding! http://www.surlybrewing.com)

10. Posted September 2, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

I will never ever buy a product that seriously uses Curlz MT as a typeface.

Other than marketing, there’s nothing wrong with beers today. I don’t think what they’re selling is beer anymore. This just encourages women to drink pseudo-beer, which is ridiculous because if you don’t like beer, just DON’T DRINK IT.

11. Posted September 3, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

LMAO this is so stupid. Why not just make regular beer and just make commercials that aren’t sexist, homophobic, gender biased, and doesn’t reinforce stereotypes?