JC Penny’s back to school catalog tries to get “girly”

Back to back, two t-shirts from JC Penny today that send exactly the message girls need when heading back to school: we don’t need to learn, we’re pretty and boy crazy (teehee).

via JC Penny.

JC Penny has already taken one of the shirts down stating,

We agree that the “Too pretty” t-shirt does not deliver an appropriate message, and we have immediately discontinued its sale.  Our merchandise is intended to appeal to a broad customer base, not to offend them. We would like to apologize for any concern we may have caused and assure you that we are taking action to ensure that we continue to uphold the integrity of our merchandise that [our customers] have come to expect.

1. Posted August 31, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

I’m glad that enough people have spoken to have some action taken about removing this shirt. I’m disappointed that someone thought that this would be marketable to our daughters. It just shows that we still have a long way to go.

2. Posted August 31, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

The anti-intellectual, narcissistic attitude of this country is so amazing. Thank you for all you do to counter that kind of attitude that results in misogyny and modern stereotyping and discrimination. I bet that they’re gonna be donating these shirts to Third World countries whose cultures believe it or not…value education!

3. Posted August 31, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

Pity. My best subjects are modern philosophy, physics, language…

4. Posted August 31, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

Credit should go to the awesome people at SkepChick for drawing large scale attention to this and getting JC Penny to take down one of those shirts.

5. Posted September 1, 2011 at 9:35 am | Permalink

This shirt looks “young enough” that it seems like the sort of thing a parent would have to buy for their daughter as part of back-to-school shopping.

I’m trying to picture the sort of parent who would endorse this message and pay money for their daughter to wear it.

6. Posted September 1, 2011 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Glad to see that JC Penney removed the shirt (now if they would do away with all the “juicy” butt-message pants!). I’m a conservative and I would have a fit if my daughter wanted to wear it. Interestingly, I saw this shirt discussed on the “hot topics” forum on a pregnancy/motherhood website yesterday. I figured everyone would be up in arms about it, and was surprised to see how many women seemed to think the public reaction and JC Penney’s removal were unnecessary.

• Posted September 1, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Pretty well everyone I’ve talked to doesn’t care and/or thinks the shirt is funny and cute. They can’t understand why we would care and say that ‘the market should decide’.

I do find fluff like this entertaining at times, and personally I don’t believe in bans over things like this, but agree the message is bad (if taken seriously).

• Posted September 4, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

I believe boycotts are often pointless, and bans by authorities (government) I am certainly against, but I’m all for people being able to vote with their pocketbooks. I’m also glad to see that companies are aware of public reaction to their products and react accordingly.

7. Posted September 1, 2011 at 10:57 am | Permalink

And how about how they conflate music and dance -subjects a girl (or boy) might have a serious interest in – with “shopping” and “boys”.

Honestly, what damn planet are these morons living on?

• Posted September 2, 2011 at 12:18 am | Permalink

True, dance and music are disciplines that require skill and creativity. Though the vibe this shirt gives me is that they mean “dance and music” as in “shaking it at the club and buying all the latest CDs” rather than studying and mastering them as arts.

8. Posted September 1, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Permalink