What We Missed

How do you like them apples?

Want to know how to become an abortion doula? Miriam breaks it down at Radical Doula.

The Justice Department has filed suit against Alabama’s despicable new immigration law.

New VA healthcare guidelines are good news for trans veterans.

A Park Avenue housekeeper was fired because she is trans.

More on Google+ and identity, this time on struggling to handle aboriginal names appropriately.

1. Posted August 2, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

I saw this video over on Boing Boing first, and got to read this nasty comment (TW!):

’28 seconds in he fucking slams her hypothesis down, fucks it and shows it the door. Good man. Bad damsel.’ I flagged it and called him out for it, for what it’s worth (not much, I’m sure…).

I am SO beyond tired of these kinds of triggering comments every time I just want to read some news and blogs and stuff. FTP :C…

2. Posted August 2, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

Thank you, Matt Damon for getting it…your mother is definitely proud…

3. Posted August 2, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

Would those naysayers say that to their teacher’s face?

4. Posted August 2, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

I don’t know, Matt. I think you’re a little to close to the subject to be impartial.

• Posted August 2, 2011 at 11:46 pm | Permalink

Yeah, well, I don’t think it’s possible to be most close enough to a teacher to understand exactly what goes into it without becoming impartial. If it had been me–my mother is also a teacher–I would not have been nearly so nice. Yes, there are bad teachers. I know one. But America is horribly prejudiced against the entire profession, and I think he made his point quite well.

• Posted August 3, 2011 at 7:29 am | Permalink

Being impartial isn’t a prerequisite for being right.

• Posted August 3, 2011 at 10:03 am | Permalink

Well speaking as someone who DOESN’T have a close family member that is a teacher I STILL think Matt Damon was totally spot on. Yes true, bad teachers exist, just like in any profession. But as Verity Khat stated, America is horribly prejudiced against the profession as a whole when their job is terribly difficult and they work their behinds off for crappy ass pay.

So you go Matt Damon!

5. Posted August 2, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Permalink

The more Matt Damon speaks, on- or off-screen (but especially off-screen), the more I like him. Well done, sir!

6. Posted August 2, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

I love Matt Damon now!

7. Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Everything can be boiled down to dollars and sense. People have children because:

1) Procreate.
    2) ??????
    3) Profit!

See? Sense.

Go, Damon! Boo, libertarian claptrap!