Weekly Feminist Reader

Bill Nye the Science Guy on Fox News! Best thing ever?

Bitch Magazine needs 1,500 subscriptions ordered by next week to stay in print. If you don’t subscribe already, do it now!

Some great advice on how to draw realistic boobs. [Via]

A very powerful and honest personal story of abortion, loss, and recovery.

Allie Sakowicz, a 17 year old birth doula who serves teen moms in Chicago, seems really awesome.

Find out how much the average American woman spends on a lifetime of basic health care.

Memo to the fashion industry: “Nude” is not a real color.

The Horn of Africa crisis by the numbers. Plus another stat to add: More than 80% of the refugees fleeing Somalia are women and children.

One stay-at-home dad discusses how a male birth control pill could have given him more control over his life.

A cool tumblr of the fashion histories of U.S. women of color.

Where have all the administrative assistants gone? Why most of the weak job growth of the last couple years has gone to men, while women continue to face lay-offs.

On the comeback of the IUD with some great visuals of the funny-looking intrauterine devices of yore.

Havoc on the Hill: A funny photo essay of the debt ceiling debate.

What if being gay is a choice? A fascinating look at the politics behind the science of sexual orientation.

I refuse to drink pink beer.

What have you been reading/writing this week?

1. Posted July 31, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Fashion! Great to see those lovey-dovey, kissy kissy couples of WWII! Grandma looks fabulous in that yellow dress and hat, very Megan from Mad Men
    Thanks for the guide on how to draw realistic boobs, I draw cartoons and have been working at drawing the diversity of the human forms since I was a kid
    Love you Bill Nye!!!! Missed you and Beakman for a long ass time!!!! School us on science one more time!!! I’m begging you!

2. Posted July 31, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Obesity Isn’t (contains fat-shaming) — Responding to some troll comments left on a previous size acceptance post.

Give Generously — On being asked to give more when I’m continually being given less. AKA, This is not the way to run an educational system.

I also reviewed a core yoga download, looking for friendliness toward bigger bodies.

3. Posted July 31, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Are marketing/advertising companies being infiltrated by pranksters who WANT to make them look bad? I think I want lemon-flavored beer that’s pink about as much as I wanted a talking vagina shouting ethnic stereotypes at me while critiquing my hygiene.

• Posted July 31, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

This. I promise I contribute plenty to beer sales, but I do so by purchasing brands that do not taste like wee.

4. Posted July 31, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

I’d love to view the Havoc on the Hill photo essay, but the link goes to the IUD article (also great!). Could you redirect it?

• Posted July 31, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Oops! Fixed now. Thanks for the heads-up.

5. Posted July 31, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

I’ve written my own love letter to Bitch, in addition to compiling a list of interesting links.

6. Posted August 1, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

“‘I hate straight society, I don’t want to be straight,’” (“Gay by Choice?) is the most liberating statement I have read since I was in college. I’m a heterosexual woman in that my emotional attachments are towards men. But I have never enjoyed being one. In fact, I find it a detrimental to my sexuality (in which my sexual orientation is just a minor part). Are there other straight women who feel this way too? I think that supporters of reparative therapy do so in the mistaken belief that straight people who are unhappy with their sexual orientation do not exist. Would they continue to support reparative therapy for gays and lesbians if they knew heterosexuals like me existed? “What would happen if one woman told the truth about her life? The world would split open.” I want to split the world open.

• Posted August 2, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Maria: YES. I also feel this way. I am unhappy with my orientation because I am sexually attracted to people who hate me. :(

There are other reason, too… but I am still figuring it all out, really… anyway, you’re not alone.