Nafissatou Diallo never said she wanted money from DSK

Breaking: Nafissatou Diallo is holding a press conference right now.

Remember when the DSK rape case started to unravel thanks to doubts about Nafissatou Diallo’s “credibility”? Remember, in particular, that New York Times story that cited an anonymous law enforcement official who claimed that in a recorded phone conversation Diallo told a friend, “Don’t worry, this guy has a lot of money. I know what I’m doing.”

Well, turns out that didn’t really happen. Yesterday, Diallo, her lawyer, and an interpreter sat down with prosecutors to actually listen to the tapes–and a very different picture emerged. The Associated Press reports:

In her first conversation with the man, she didn’t mention Strauss-Kahn’s wealth at all, instead telling her friend that “someone tried to rape me, and that he’s a powerful, big man,” who had tried to take her clothes off, pushed her, and ultimately made her do something against her will, Thompson said.

In a subsequent conversation, she told her friend that her attacker “is powerful and rich,” her lawyer said. But it was earlier in that conversation — and not in connection with any mention of Strauss-Kahn’s status — that she said “I know what to do” to signal that she gone to authorities, planned to hire a lawyer and would be all right, Thompson said.

“Her primary focus was on what happened to her, how she was coping with the fact that she had almost been raped,” he said.

So not so much the money-grubbing, lying criminal she’s been portrayed as? Color me shocked! Also, even if Diallo had mentioned wanted to get money from DSK, as her lawyer points out, it’s totally within her rights to file a lawsuit. You had better believe that if I am ever sexually assaulted by a man who turns out to be as rich and powerful as DSK, I will sue the shit out of him. I will preemptively go on the record as saying that right now.

I look forward to an explanation about why an anonymous law enforcement official was peddling lies about an alleged rape victim to the press, as well as retractions and apologies from the New York Times and all the other media outlets that repeated these gross misrepresentations.

1. Posted July 28, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Well of course she’s gonna deny wanting money from him, did you really expect her to admit to that. The problem with rape cases in America is that they are tried in a court of public opinion way before they are ever tried in a court of law. This press conference could just as easily hurt her if and when this ever gets to trial.

• Posted July 28, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

why can’t one have both? and isn’t money a measure of justice? isn’t that the entire basis of the civil system?

besides she isn’t saying she denies saying she wants money from him (which is completely within her rights), the tapes themselves indicate she never said that

• Posted July 29, 2011 at 2:07 am | Permalink

“As for the money issue, that depends. Do you want money or justice? Can’t have both.”

Is this a joke? The criminal and civil systems exist precisely because money and justice issues can be resolved separately, and because money can be part of a just civil settlement.

Ms. Diallo has every right to sue, and it ought not impinge upon her criminal complaint’s validity unless there is evidence to the contrary.

That said, I agree that there has been part too much “trial by the press”, a foolish errand subject to the whims of the public and publishers.

2. Posted July 28, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

her lawyer’s reference to her encounter as “almost rape” won’t help her case at all.

3. Posted July 28, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Clearly, we should get to the bottom of what was actually said in the tape, but trying to say “gotcha!” here is not really warranted, since all the AP report states is that Diallo’s lawyer disagrees with the assertions that she mentioned trying to squeeze DSK for money. A defense attorney stating the opposite of what a prosecutor says is not news. There is also no evidence that anyone is peddling lies since, again, all the new information is that her lawyer states that the anonymous tip was not true. Until we can get a neutral party who is fluent in Diallo’s language to translate, we have no idea what was said.

4. Posted July 28, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Wait, someone’s trying to publicly defame an (alleged) rape victim? That doesn’t happen here in America.

Me too.

• Posted July 29, 2011 at 7:17 am | Permalink

Again, this has not been demonstrated, only that her defense attorney has stated that she never said anything about squeezing him for money.

5. Posted July 28, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

“You had better believe that if I am ever sexually assaulted by a man who turns out to be as rich and powerful as DSK, I will sue the shit out of him. I will preemptively go on the record as saying that right now.”

LMFAO! And guess what? If I am ever assaulted by the poorest man on earth, I will still sue the shit out of HIM!

6. Posted July 28, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

It did seem odd to me that what looked like an open-and-shut case suddenly evaporated. One minute Ms. Diallo was a sympathetic, hardworking victim of a powerful and cruel man. The next minute she was an evil temptress with vaguely nefarious plans that never quite got explained in a satisfactory way.

I’m not going to say I know for sure that DSK is guilty, but I will say I find the story put forward for his villainy a lot more convincing than the story put forward for hers.