Weekly Feminist Reader

RIP Amy Winehouse. You will be missed.

The National Women’s Law Center’s blog carnival on the importance of no-cost birth control was great.

Still jazzed about the Women’s World Cup? Can’t stop watching this Rachel Maddow segment? Find yourself googling Megan Rapinoe way more than you’d like to admit? (Nope, just me?) Kate Goldwater and Anna Clark remind us we can continue to get our women’s soccer fix by supporting the Women’s Professional Soccer league.

Sarah Jaffe on the 14.1 million unemployed people in the U.S.

Five Romcoms You Should Side-Eye. (Confession: #4 and #5 are two of my favorites. Whooops!)

Wheelchair Dancer discusses Lady Gaga’s use of a wheelchair during a recent performance.

“That’s the thing about responsible kinksters: They are not only concerned with consent but also desire.” Tracy Clark-Flory on consent and violent sex.

Can James O’Keefe officially be a joke now? An Irish kilt? Please.

Sady Doyle takes J.K. Rowling to task for not making Hermione the lead of the Harry Potter series. Alyssa Rosenberg argues that Harry Potter and the Hunger Games “are about what happen when you use young people as mascots and as instruments for larger causes.”

Melissa McEwan’s simple advice to men: Be nice.

“The battle over the debt ceiling is a contest between grown-up sobriety and juvenile righteousness, which doesn’t leave much choice.”

On the ways Palestinian women suffer more under occupation.

“Many women who get pregnant are blasted out of their minds when they have sex. They’re not going to use birth control anyway.” Fuck you too, O’Reilly.

An important read on mandatory drug testing of welfare recipients and the criminalization of poor women.

Autostraddle explores bi-sexuality in hip hop.

s.e. smith on the media coverage of Michelle Bachmann’s migraines. More from fellow migraine suffer Dana Goldstein.

70% of anti-LGBT murder victims are people of color.

What have you been reading/writing this week?

1. Posted July 24, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

When I Get Good at It (TW for fat shaming) — Writing about my recent experiences of fat + exercising in public.

My Diet & My Feminism (TW for disordered eating thoughts) — Responding to another blogger’s question of whether dieting is anti-feminist.

Gushing — My contribution to the PP/NWLC’s blog carnival about BC access to treat menorrhagia.

Also, a DVD review, examining a practice with a specific focus toward body acceptance and accommodation.

• Posted July 25, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Nothing earth-shattering, but I read a few posts on your blog and I love your writing! Especially the pieces linked above– awesome, interesting, personal stuff, very demonstrative (and also infuriating). I also wanted to respond to the “can a feminist diet?” piece and it’s great to see an interesting response from someone else from the Feministing crowd.

2. Posted July 24, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Here is Melissa’s liveblog of the Norway terror attacks on Friday: http://shakespearessister.blogspot.com/2011/07/explosion-in-oslo.html

As lots of people are pointing out, people were quick to assume that these attacks were perpetrated by Muslims, when they were actually perpetrated by a white Norwegian male. I’m sure there will be lots more discussion on the internet about this this week.

3. Posted July 24, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Morgan wrote a great piece for about transmisogyny in Toronto’s trans* community.

I’m also stopping by to shameless plug a few things I’ve written this week on my new(ish) blog [blog header/title may be NSFW]:
    On the subject of my anniversary
    About a trans woman who won a radio station’s contest for free breast implants
    Why ball sweat is a feminist issue

That last one is fun, if only because my mother retweeted it.

• Posted July 25, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

“People stopped treating me like shit because I was a trans person, and started treating me like shit because they presumed I was a cis woman.”

Totally not a laughing matter but this is such an honest, succinct slice of the kind of bullshit intersectional oppression served up by the kyriarchy, I had to laugh. I am a sucker for well-used words. Also- Avery’s story made my day.

Your blog is great, btw- honest and witty, always a winning combination.

4. Posted July 24, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Thank you especially for the article on rom-coms (As a bookworm I too wondered why Meg Ryan would go out with Tom Hanks after her drove her out of business). Thanks also for Wheelchair Dancer’s article. I’m still not sure if Lady Gaga does stuff like that to make a statement (if so it often gets lost in all the spectacle) or just to get attention (in which case it’s clearly working). The “coming into disability” concept was a new one for me, I was born with my disability and have only needed a chair for short periods of surgical recovery. Would anyone be comfortable elaborating on this idea who is more qualified?

5. Posted July 25, 2011 at 4:32 am | Permalink
  6. Posted July 25, 2011 at 4:41 am | Permalink

Thanks for linking to Alyssa Rosenberg’s piece on Harry Potter. I really disliked Sady Doyle’s column, mostly because I have always considered Harry Potter to be a feminist – and I liked the idea that it was so obvious in the ways he admires many women (Hermione the first amongst them), and that their gender is never for a minute an issue with him.

7. Posted July 25, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

Inspired by Melissa McEwan of Shakesville: On being nice: social distance for newbies .