Portland passes trans inclusive health care!

Yesterday morning, Portland City Council voted unanimously to implement trans inclusive heath care.

As reported by Bilerico:

They [Portland City Council] are only the third municipality ever to do so. This is obviously important to any trans employees of the city, however, it is just as important that the city is recognizing the inherent discrimination involved in trans exclusion clauses, where many specific treatments are covered, until the insurer discovers you are trans.

I am really, really happy about this, for two main reasons. The first, obviously, is that it means the removal of completely discriminatory and fucked up language that has caused great harm to countless people, and hopefully marks a growing trend of endorsing trans inclusive policies.

The second is that it gives me a really good excuse to post one of my favorite clips from Portlandia, a funny new show with which I am sort of in love. Enjoy!

I am also a really huge fan of the entire “feminist bookstore” series, but yall would hate that, being a bunch of humorless feminists and all ;)

1. Posted June 9, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Well, that was a painful laugh (or two, or three).

2. Posted June 9, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Hey Lori,

Did you think that a video with dude-in-a-dress comedy was definitely the right choice to accompany a story about trans stuff?

What’s that? You didn’t think it was problematic? Maybe I’m just a humorless feminist.

• Posted June 9, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Hey Marlene, thanks for the comment. I didn’t find the videos offensive and in fact find the feminist bookstore bit in particular to be very progressive, self aware, and satirical take on feminism and gender politics. But I would be interested and open to hearing why you experience them differently. The only intended relationship between the videos and the rest of the post is geographic (via the Portland connection).

• Posted June 9, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

As a man who plays it straight when wearing a dress and who has excessively analyzed attitudes concerning the messages/attitudes sent by performances that play on gender identity/expression, here is my take:

The latter video doesn’t make transgenderism the focal point, but it does make a “transgender” person one of the two comic foils, whose role is to be funny by being (essentially) less intelligent — and not in the way a correspondent on The Daily Show ridicules stereotypes for their gender/race by taking them to absurd conclusions. And it also has a part where said foils are being ~pushy about sharing some bizarro transgenderism (the title for the “book” is a borderline trigger) and once also being unnecessarily defensive about it. My general feeling is this bit is done at the expense of TGs, and while such acts can be far more vile, it does not appear appropriate for this occasion (or for Feministing in general).

• Posted June 9, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Dude-in-a-dress is a tradition in comedy. It is a tradition that relies on transphobia and especially trasmysoginy for its comic effect. While I don’t find this example especially problematic along those lines, when compared to most, it is still a sensitive area for many trans folks.

I find troubling that this did not even occur to you and that you respond by explaining that you didn’t take offense, as though that is any sort of justification.

Feministing was just starting to outlive some of its notorious transphobic stink. It would be a shame for this to turn in to a situation that proves that nothing has changed.

Your cis privilege is showing and someone (me) was just patient enough to point it out rather than just walk away. This is an opportunity for you to take a closer look.

• Posted June 9, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

You know, things like this are exactly why this blog had such a bad reputation as unsafe space for trans people. First you post dude-in-a-dress jokes, then you defend it.

If you told a guy that making a joke about sexual assault, particularly in the middle of a piece about laws about rape, was misogynistic, and he defended it as being actually a very progressive joke, and appropriate and funny, how would you feel? Would you feel safe around him? What if he defended it and then expected you to explain what was wrong with it?

Seriously, if Feministing wants to be a safe space for women — because women includes trans women — then y’all have got to stop this crap.

Oh, and by the way, there’s more than one Portland. You might want to be more specific.

3. Posted June 9, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

I am so excited that my city has passed this law. Trans inclusion and rights have come a long way in Portland though they still have far to go. And as the Director of the Feminist Community Center where Portlandia’s Feminist Bookstore skits were filmed, I have to say we were completely fine with the way Carrie and Fred portrayed us. It has brought a lot of attention to feminism for people who otherwise aren’t interested and it has brought a lot of new people in who find out that we aren’t the stereotypical feminists they thought we were!

4. Posted June 9, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

I’m so glad to live in Portland and even more so after today! I too love Portlandia and the feminist bookstore bits. It’s a great way to poke fun at the stereotypes and show just how ridiculous they are!