What We Missed

An absolute must-read: the first in a three part series at Colorlines based on focus groups with young people complicating the idea that we’re “post-racial.”

Maine’s Senate has rejected the state’s fetal protection bill.

Massachusetts (the wicked pissa state where I was born and raised!) is the latest state to reject ICE’s Secure Communities program and the latest to be told by the federal government they have to comply.

Alabama’s legislature has passed what could become the harshest anti-immigrant law in the states.

1. Posted June 7, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

That sounds like home to me. This is what happens when both the House and Senate go GOP after years of conservative Democratic rule.

2. Posted June 7, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

Just saw this, thought it might be good for “What We Missed”. It’s about some stalker dbag guy who put up an anti-choice billboard declaring his ex-girlfriend had an abortion, violating her privacy:

• Posted June 8, 2011 at 12:26 am | Permalink

I don’t know. The billboard doesn’t identify the woman, nor does it include her picture. It doesn’t even include the douchebag in question’s name.

If I said to you (or announced via public media) “my ex-partner was a drug addict and ruined my life,” would that constitute a violation of privacy?

I’m also assuming that there’s additional info that wasn’t included in the linked article, since I didn’t see anything that made this guy out to be a stalker. Can you share the other sources?

• Posted June 8, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

The source who initially posted it says it can be found in the commentary. You know, apart from this entire stunt looking like a retaliatory action employed by an abuser who lost the control he assumed he had.

I’d also like to point out that despite her name not being used, the anti-choice ex has used his own photo. Since this billboard was put up in their local town, it’s likely that neighbors may recognize him and be able to surmise who he’d been dating in the past few years, etc. So in a passive-aggressive way (abusers are often masters of passive-aggressive behavior and manipulation) he may very well be outing her to at least their local community, and depending how conservative that community is, inviting harassment towards her by claiming this.

• Posted June 8, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

“It doesn’t even include the douchebag in question’s name.”

Also, though it’s not on the billboard, his name is clearly given in the article. Greg Fultz, age 35.

• Posted June 8, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

I know what his name is, and I know that it was included in the article. But he didn’t write the article, he put up the billboard, which doesn’t include his name.

While I totally agree that this was a douchey thing to do, I don’t think it constitutes a violation of privacy in the way that we normally understand and accept the term.

I wouldn’t, for example, use “violation of privacy” as a reason to prohibit a billboard that showed an unnamed DV victim talking about what her (unnamed) abuser did.

People have the right to use their own image and talk about their lives; while I think that Fultz is a vindictive sleazebag, I don’t believe that his actions constitute a violation of privacy.

• Posted June 8, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Well, since I can see exactly what he’s trying to accomplish with this, I hope a court of law doesn’t take that view.

I’d also suggest the difference between this and talking about a violent abuser is that a lot of DV abusers repeat the cycle in relationship to relationship, so you’d be discussing someone who’s a potential threat to others. Whereas a woman making HER OWN decision with HER OWN body to get an abortion is not.

3. Posted June 8, 2011 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Thank goodness people are taking a comprehensive look at post-racial America. I think we are certainly headed in the right direction, but saying we are post-race is like saying “I’m colorblind–I don’t see you as……” Many people, especially in my parents generation, seem to think since we have a black president we have officially proven that America isn’t racist anymore. For some reason, they use it as an excuse to say whatever hateful racist garbage they’ve been repressing because it was once frowned upon more harshly. If you call them out, they can say a. “I’m just criticizing the president” (even if it was a comment about skin color, not policies) b. “but the border crisis,” and c. “but 9/11.” It is racism disguised as political discourse. But one of my favorite excuses is “I’m not a racist, because I wouldn’t say it in front of THEM.”

Since we are being told that America is post-racial, I am afraid that my generation doesn’t even know how to face this sort of underhanded racism. Recently, I heard one of my ignorant coworkers spewing crap about how “We” are the immigrants now and “They” are taking over “Our” country making “Us” the minority. I was fuming so I lashed out, calling him a disgusting ignorant racist who should keep his mouth shut. And you know what? He laughed at me. The word “racist” doesn’t carry the sting it used to, because people are being told that race doesn’t matter. But the Us-Them mentality still exists among races. I am afraid that if the world keeps telling us race doesn’t matter, soon we won’t even recognize racism if it dresses up in a sheet.

4. Posted June 8, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Can I just say? Massachusetts solidarity! Wooh!