Haters go air-bound to warn Disney World visitors of pride event

Religious folks sure likes to use air-bound messages to spread the moral word. I was at Disney last year in the midst of a serious ice cream-eating session when I happened to look up and saw a huge cloud of skywriting that said: “Jesus saves.”

Now, it looks like the Florida Family Association has spend several thousand dollars to fly a plane over the theme park to warn visitors that The Gays are Coming.

Gay Day is actually not just one day, but a week-long event in Orlando around Pride Month that includes a day at Disney World on the first Saturday in June. As that Saturday just passed, so did the huge plane and banner that flew around the theme park on Friday, warning folks looking for a “normal day” at the Magical Kingdom that they’ll find the horror of past Gay Days:

“Many Gay Day patrons wore shirts that promoted homosexuality, kissed, hugged and groped in very public places and dressed in drag all to the curiosity of tens of thousands of children.”

Because I’m sure those children would never, ever see gay people within their lifetime if it wasn’t for Gay Day at Disney. Of course protecting our children from some pride t-shirts and PDA is way more important than teaching our kids to not beat their fellow students nearly to death or fighting  the education cuts in Florida of nearly $2 billion thanks to a corrupt governor.

That’s right — making sure that Mickey fucking Mouse stays straight will protect our children’s well-being. No homo, Mickey. No homo.

1. Posted June 6, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

It’s easier to be afraid of something you believe is easily solved. If we had to confront that which challenges all of us, we’d recognize our own fault and complicity.

2. Posted June 6, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

I have a happy story about this! I have a friend who works at Cinderella’s Royal Table at the Castle in Magic Kingdom, and they have a lot of proposals (so many that they have a standard proposal package). She texted me on Saturday to tell me that she had seen her first gay proposal in the few months she’s been working there and it was completely adorable!

And then, of course, parents who had come with their little princesses got pissed off and started making complaints. But you know.

3. Posted June 6, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

I saw the “Jesus Saves” skywriting when I was in Disney World in 2009. At the time I was suffering from heat exhaustion and was waiting at the bus stop to go back to our hotel room. I took a picture of the sky because I was pretty sure that it was a heat-induced hallucination. But, no, when I looked at my pics later there was “Jesus Saves.”

I had a friend in college that was a huge Disney fan. She was a recruiter for the Disney College Program and she went to Disney World every year. She and her boyfriend preferred to go during Gay Days because there were fewer children. Not totally void of children, because obviously gay families have kids and some straight families either don’t care or didn’t know about Gay Days, but not as many kids as a typical day at Disney. I’ve never been during Gay Days (we went during Star Wars Weekend) so all I know about it is second hand information I got from my friend.

4. Posted June 6, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

As some one who worked at Disney for 5 years, I can tell you they are very supportive and inclusive. They did their best to make everyone feel welcome but aren’t responsible for church groups, fly overs and what other guests say.

5. Posted June 6, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

So, my high school French club took an annual trip to Disney World and 15 years ago, that day we traveled there, unbeknownst to my HS french teacher, turned out to be Gay Day, which we did not know until we arrived at the park. Delightful, the spirit of all the people there was contagious even amongst some of the adult chaperones that were initially put off by the whole thing.

6. Posted June 6, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

Children observing people in flamboyant costumes? At Disney World??? I never thought I’d see the day! And isn’t true love’s kiss the ultimate Disney trope?

7. Posted June 6, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

I did two International College Programs at WDW. And on both I saw those writing on the sky. It was really awkward for everyone, because the company as Poochie said, tries to make everyone feel welcome. This means no religion.
    I’ve never seen some attitude like this coming from any cast member, they’re always supporting everyone. All of my ex coworkers who still work at the theme parks are really supportive and happy with the pride day.
    But for me, as a former cast member, and a guest, it’s really sad to see something like this. I’m from Brazil, a really religious country, which is now going through discussions like this. This is not a suitable behaviour.