FTW: Newt Gingrich gets glitterbombed by gay rights activist

Well sparkle me pretty, I think I’ve found my new hero.

Tuesday evening, former Speaker and anti-LGBT asshat Newt Gingrich was greeted with a bucket of sparkles over his head by a gay rights activist during a book-signing taking place before a fundraiser for the Minneapolis Family Council — an organization that is known for fighting against gay rights and marriage equality. The video is priceless:

Our boy Newt is well-known for his bigotry, most recently it being discovered that he secretly funneled $350,000 to anti-LGBT hate groups last year. Now he’s making a run for president.

While he poured bucket of glitter on Gingrich’s head, the protestor exclaimed, “Feel the rainbow, Newt. Stop the hate. Stop anti-gay politics. It’s dividing our country, and it’s not fixing our economy.”

With this decade’s boom of online activism, I hear people often asking if offline activism is obsolete. This, folks, is your proof that is definitely not the case. So bad-ass.

Via The Ticket.

1. Posted May 19, 2011 at 10:56 am | Permalink

I don’t think Newt is going to be anyone we have to worry about, thankfully. He’s about fifteen years out of date, for one, and he has pretty much isolated himself from his entire party with certain recent comments.

2. Posted May 19, 2011 at 11:04 am | Permalink

I can’t remember which comedian it was (Ralphie May?) who suggested this as a way of getting back at someone, because glitter is impossible to completely wipe off. So Newt was probably glittering all day.

Pretty damn cool.

• Posted May 20, 2011 at 12:33 am | Permalink

Demetri Martin: “The thing about glitter is, if you get it on you, prepare to have it on you forever. ‘Cause glitter is the herpes of craft supplies.”

• Posted May 21, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

There is at least one other comedian who made the joke, specifically as a way to get revenge on your boss if you’re fired. “Oh really? *glitter*” Because you’re fired, but now they have to go around with glitter on their face all day.

In any case, this was hilarious.

3. Posted May 19, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

That asshole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Newt knows he has a sister who loves the girlfriends. Of course this is the same guy that gave his first wife divorce papers while she was in the hospital sick with cancer and afterwords didn’t pay her and the daugthers child support. They were so in need of money, that her church took up a collection to support them. I love the glitter!!!! Its neat to take a symbol of girliness and use it as an excellent tool. Sugar! Spice! And Everything Nice! Chemical X!

4. Posted May 19, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Thankfully you don’t have to worry about Gingrich become President…he’s past his expiration date to put it nicely. However, LGBT hate needs to stop.

5. Posted May 19, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Funny! The only thing that would make it even funnier is if a gaggle of “Twilight” fanatics chased him down the street as he tried to get home, “Hard Day’s Night” style.

• Posted May 19, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

I’d also like to add, watching the actual footage, that Gingrich seems kinda…cool with this. He does not recoil or jump out of his seat or anything, and actually seems to have a small tight smile around his lips. Racers, start your speculations!

6. Posted May 19, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Don’t like him and I don’t like this. This time glitter nest time acid? In this day and age unacceptable.

7. Posted May 19, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Now, I like pie in the face as much as the next gay, but I’m pretty sure that had Espinosa gotten glitter in Gingrich’s eyes that would be assault. This is the kind of political stunt that only serves to victimize Gingrich to his supporters. It was funny to watch, but it only makes us look silly.

8. Posted May 19, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

To be clear, are we saying that it is awesome to throw things at people, that it’s awesome to throw glitter at people, that it’s awesome to throw non-dangerous things on people, or that it is only awesome to throw things/glitter/non-dangerous things on people that we really disagree with?

While I understand the urge to smirk at this, and I realize that glitter is non-threatening, it is also a non-trivial sort of assault. I would press charges against someone who deliberately covered me in glitter, flour, colored water or anything else as a result of their disagreement with my politics, and I suspect most people would agree that I would be right to do so.

The fact that Gingrich is a total douchebag and that this was really funny doesn’t actually make it acceptable, appropriate or worthy of celebration. This isn’t an okay way to engage with people.

9. Posted May 20, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

If an anti-abortion activist did this to someone seeking an abortion, would it be funny or appropriate?

I think that kind of says it all. We wouldn’t accept this kind of behavior from one side of the political spectrum, so why should we call this heroic?

10. Posted May 22, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

It seems so telling that he just wipes it off the table onto the floor. Because glitter will be sooooo easy to get out of the carpet. But if it’s not in front of him, it’s not his problem, right?