What We Missed

The evolution of the It Gets Better project.

A three-part series about the experience of trans students at Harvard.

Is seeing the movie being released this weekend, Bridesmaids, a social responsibility?

Montana Governor vetoes a bill that would have required parental notification for abortions.

A little Friday Feminist Fuck You to Georgia Governor Deal for signing their version of the anti-immigrant SB 1070.

1. Posted May 13, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Apparently whatever trans women exist at Harvard aren’t worth talking about, compared to the trans men? I refuse to believe that trans women or CAMAB genderqueer folks are completely absent in the entire Harvard student and staff body.

2. Posted May 13, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Blech. I hope seeing a movie about a wedding is never a “social responsibility” for feminists.

3. Posted May 14, 2011 at 12:50 am | Permalink

Besides the fact that Dan Savage has a racist and transphobic history, the It Gets Better project has always left me feeling a bit skeptical about it all. I like the intention, I know that it’s good, but why is it always about the “future” for gay rights? What about right now? We should be focusing on how to make NOW better, not telling our youth that they can grow up and move to a big city and live a fancy life and all will be okay. Also, it doesn’t always get better. Sometimes things get more difficult. I feel like these efforts should be put toward making the CURRENT lives of young gay people better, not in the future, but now.

4. Posted May 14, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

The article on transgender issues at Harvard was very informative, but I was left confused on one issue. All of my friends who have transitioned are required to take daily hormones, and without them they have serious side effects. I was under the impression that this, and not bigotry, was the reason transgender persons are excluded from the repeal of DADT. After all, the military excludes anyone who requires a daily maintenance medication, on the grounds that it is too difficult to guarantee the soldier always receives medication in a war zone. Was I incorrect in this?

5. Posted May 14, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Permalink

No, it’s not a social responsibility to pay $12 to watch a film about women who can afford to spend a lot of money on wedding stuff. Gross. I’m sure that Bridesmaids is smart, but is it revolutionary? I’m going to go out on a limb here and say ”no.”

6. Posted May 16, 2011 at 9:24 am | Permalink

An evolution of the IGB project? Or making money out of suicidal teenagers?

7. Posted May 16, 2011 at 9:28 am | Permalink

@ Violet – yes. Again, the the myth of trans masculine invisibility contradicted