Happy Birthday Samhita!

Fuck Yeah Samhita Mukhopadhyay
It’s a Very Important Day in Feminist History. Today is our Executive Editor Samhita’s birthday!

She’s currently in Panama, probably drinking on a beach right now. I’m not jealous.

It’s a very well deserved vacation. You might have noticed Samhita’s voice on the blog a little bit less over the past few months. It’s cause she was writing a book, called “Outdated: Why Dating Is Ruining Your Love Life.” Don’t you wanna read that like right now? You can pre-order it here. I’ve only read the introduction so far but I can tell you it’s gonna be ah-mazing!

Then Samhita came back to blogging full time and dropped this, which I think is one of the sharpest, most brilliant pieces about political work I’ve ever read.

And don’t even get me started about her trashiness on the dance floor or 6am ranting about sex and identity.

Yeah, Samhita’s fucking incredible.

Please join me and the Feministing crew in wishing Samhita a happy birthday!

1. Posted May 3, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Happy Birthday!

2. Posted May 3, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Happy Birthday Samhita! Congrats on the book!

Jos, is it possible you could link to the publisher’s webpage or maybe an indie bookstore instead of driving business to amazon? Amazon is actively trying to put out of business local independent bookstores who have supported (and employed, and been owned by) feminist-, queer-, trans-, and POC-authors for years. These stores serve as community gathering spaces for feminists and other radicals and they’re being lost at an alarming rate due the amount of people who just automatically go to amazon instead.

I know amazon offers monetary kickbacks to sites that link to them, but most indie bookstores that have e-commerce sites can offer affiliate rates that are competitive with amazon. You can check out more and find stores to link to at IndieBound.

Thanks!

• Posted May 3, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Unfortunately, despite Amazon’s objectionable practices, they often are the first to offer pre-orders for books and often the only option before the book is out.

To clarify, Feministing has no monetary relationship with Amazon and receives no compensation for links or purchases made via links.

The publisher, Seal Press, does not yet have info about the book on their site. Once the book is available on other sellers, we will make sure to link to alternatives for purchasing!

• Posted May 5, 2011 at 1:39 am | Permalink

Thanks for replying Miriam. However I think this might be a misunderstanding. Amazon is not the only option for preordering a book. Almost any indie bookstore who has a ecommerce site can do this. Most indie bookstores work with the American Booksellers Association to draw book data for their web databases. I could be wrong about the exact source, but I think that they draw that data from Ingram or Baker & Taylor which means that they should have pretty much every book in print, including ones that are scheduled to be released but haven’t been printed yet.

If you know the ISBN number for the book, you can easily find it on almost any indie bookstore’s ecommerce site. I copied the ISBN number for Samhita’s book (9781580053327, which I found out from scrolling down on the Amazon page), went to indiebound.org and just did a search. (IndieBound is part of the American Booksellers Association). They have a page up with links to buy the book online from an indie store, to link to the page, to add to your wishlist, etc. You can also do the same thing with Powell’s, who is the largest indie bookstore in the U.S. They have much more information on their site about the book, including a synopsis. Probably the best thing to do if you’re concerned about driving traffic to local indies would be to link to IndieBound over Powells — that way each user can click the link at the IndieBound site to find the book at the closest indie bookstore to where they are. But Powell’s is good too.

Or, if you want to avoiding linking to any sites that are selling something, you can almost always find early release titles on goodreads.com. They have a page for Samhita’s book, although no picture yet.

I don’t point these things out to do some sort of silly one-upping thing, and I’m sorry to be on a soapbox about this, but it is very literally this kind of automatic customer-loyalty to amazon, amazon branding, and driving traffic to amazon that is erasing feminist/queer bookstores, as well as full-line indie bookstores.

3. Posted May 3, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Happy birthday, Samhita.

But, Jos, really? Her “trashiness” on the dance floor? Since when is it acceptable to use “trashiness” to refer to any aspect of a woman? Maybe “her kickassness on the dance floor” would be an acceptable alternative.

I expected more from Feministing.

4. Posted May 3, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

[Psst. Jos. You may want to work on your camera angles. This one's a little creepy.]

Happy birthday anyhow.

• Posted May 4, 2011 at 9:52 am | Permalink

I noticed that too.

Also, I like your user picture!

Also, also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! ^_^