Klondike rewards man for briefly listening to wife

I don’t know about you, but nothing puts me in the mood for some ice cream like a healthy dose of blatant sexism.

Thankfully, Klondike’s new “5 Seconds to Glory” ads deliver just that- the sort of trite gender stereotypes and blatant gender scare tactics that really gets me in the mood for a vanilla and chocolate delight.

In the ad below, a guy is forced to “survive” 5 seconds of– get this– listening to his wife speak. Oh, the horror! Of course, he tears up and almost doesn’t make it, but in the end he is rewarded for his heroic demonstration of bravery, endurance, and, what else, manliness, with a Klondike bar.

Wives, of course, only talk about things like which color to paint the foyer.

Check out a second ad after the jump. This one involves– get this– biker guys holding hands. Oh the humanity.

Thanks to Callie and Neil L for the tips.

1. Posted May 2, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

I liked that the women who rewarded him for listening to his wife were wearing skintight dresses. Nice one, guys.

2. Posted May 2, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

I hate this ad. Every time I see it I look at my fiance and unleash a tirade against them. He agrees.

3. Posted May 3, 2011 at 5:16 am | Permalink

those two objects girls um, women… at the end are an especially nice touch.

4. Posted May 3, 2011 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Eugh, repulsive. I can just imagine the kind of guys who would think this hilarious too. Also eugh to them.

5. Posted May 3, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

Advertisers do not care about stuff like this.

Advertising is a business. A business’ job is to make money.

Advertisers do what makes them the most money.

If running this commercial you don’t like causes 100 women not to buy their bars and 10,000 men to, they will run it as they sell 9.900 bars.

They could make a commercial you like, but then only 4,000 men and 4,000 women would buy the bars.

The commercial they used makes them more money so they use that commercial.

Put your money where your mouth is. If you don’t like a commercial, don’t buy the product as that means the commercial did not work.

6. Posted May 3, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

Do I get a Klondike bar for surviving this ad? Because I think that was tougher than what that piece of crap had to do.

How nice that two hot women (who, let’s face it, are way too hot and sexy to have voices or care if anyone listens to women! Duh!) reward him with his ice cream while his humiliated wife looks around in confusion because –get it– she doesn’t even realize how hard it is to listen to her.
    Wow. Just wow.
    ^let Klondike know how you feel.

• Posted May 3, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Permalink

Let Klondike know how you feel by not buying any of their Klondike bars. That is the only way to influence a company, which is in the business of making money.

• Posted May 8, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Thanks for posting this link. I definitely sent a response. After suffering through that add about 8 times just to watch an tv episode online, I was a bit revved up.
      P.S. (That Report comment button should be moved a little further away from the Reply. I apologize in advance.)

7. E
    Posted May 4, 2011 at 6:10 am | Permalink

Jenny, I don’t think ads like this get men to buy Klondike Bars. Maybe if the “What would you do for a Klondike Bar?” was to get punched in the face by Chuck Norris and it played on Spike TV. MAYBE. But I don’t see an ad like this sending guys running to the store. All it really does is irritate women.

Since this isn’t a gender-targeted product (except that I’d wager that women purchase more ice cream products than men, if only because women do the bulk of grocery shopping), it makes no sense to “target” a male demographic. By ticking off the primary audience for your product, you’re hurting sales and alienating customers.

Companies like this DO care if you don’t like their advertising. A lot of companies do market research with a small group of people before running an ad, and perhaps this ad tested well, or tested better than another, godawful ad. Maybe the perception that women dominate conversation (when they don’t) and that women are nags meant that women and men in focus groups thought the ad was funny. Who knows? But if enough people complain, it’s likely that the company will rethink their advertising. The last thing a company wants to do is piss off their customers.

• Posted May 4, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

If the companies are really irritating lots and lots of women like you say, then those lots and lots of women, if they really are irritated and not just pretending, will NOT buy any more products.

Then the company will see that the demand for product went down after releasing this ad and then come up with a new marketing strategy.

8. Posted May 7, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Interloping male here [sorry, googled the commercial itself to see how people were reacting]. And I respectfully submit that most of you seem to have missed the point of the ad. It certainly doesn’t positively reinforce or validate the caricature of men dreading any extended communication with their female partners. No, this ad offers vindication to women (perhaps not this group of women, but plenty of others) who perceive their male partners as indifferent (or worse) to basic conversation and overly obsessed with impossibly hot, scantily clad, readily available young nymphs. As someone has rightfully noted already, men purchase a very small share of grocery store ice cream products. Maybe they throw men a bone by making the conversation something mundane, but ultimately it’s the male protagonist in the ad who comes off looking like a buffoon. There is no payoff for men in this ad. My wife glowers at me every time it’s shown, daring me to demonstrate even a hint of agreement while herself expressing an unambiguous “I knew it!”

We can agree that such blatant two-way stereotyping does little to foster healthy inter-gender understanding. This ad campaign is unhelpful and, worst of all, quite lame. Hopefully it will fail to inspire either brand loyalty or ice cream joneses and quickly disappear.