Anti-Feminist Mailbag: commie, race war edition

Yesterday was one of those days in ye ole inbox, so I thought I’d revive our favorite tradition of republishing and making fun of the inevitable hate mail one receives when saying wild and crazy feminist and/or progressive things like “racism exists” or “women are people.” The first one comes from, I kid you not, a dude named Bob Quack. Quack is referring, by the way, to my column this week on the reclamation of the American Dream:

Wow I always like to read what so called intellectual progressives write and think it is enlightening and kind of sad. Your article was just a rewrite of the same old race war that Liberals have to keep stoking the flames on. Blacks have just as much opportunity (if not more) than white or Hispanics or Asians, its just that the non-black are more likely to take these opportunities and run with them. Blacks have been used by Liberals for decades and decades and know they are dependant on Federal hand-outs.

I’ll tell you one thing, my arms are seriously tired from stoking those race war flames. Especially since Obama got into office and racism ended. It’s gotten way harder to find statistics on health or income disparities (like, oh, even from our own federal government) since all this health care and recession mumbo jumbo hit the airwaves, Internets, and every other easily available source known to “man” (even men as daft as Quack here, who emailed me from this work email address, so what choice did I have but to forward his rant on to his supervisors?).

This next one is from a repeat customer, and one who apparently has gotten into lots of other trouble according to a quick Google search. I’d rather not create any kind of ongoing relationship with this fella, so I’ll leave his name off, but will let you enjoy the succinct and creative message he sent along:

Hey Bitch, Sociology Major. Major commie Pinko assfucked slut. Ha ha.

Okay, so I’m obviously a Communist slut, but Sociology Major? I’m seriously offended. I’ll have you know that I was a Political Science/Sociology Double Major Sergeant A-hole. Oh, and I got one of those Commie Pinko post-modern masters degrees from NYU, too. Better recognize.

1. Posted April 5, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

HA! Did you really forward Senor Quack’s email on to his supervisors? Ahh that is delicious.

2. Posted April 5, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Keep at it Courtney, they just prove you’re all heart and class

3. Posted April 5, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

LOL @ forwarding to Quack’s supervisors!

You did get my curiosity up about the second one though. Even if you don’t want to give his name, what sorts of trouble did Google show he got into?

4. Posted April 5, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

LOVE the forwarding of the email, Courtney, an act of true genius! (Next on the agenda: taking over the world! Buah, hah, hah…)

5. Posted April 5, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

you forwarded it to his supervisors? that’s crossing a line. disagreeing with someone on the internet does not warrant anyone to invade that person’s life and create a hazardous environment for them. i’ve had a lot of people disagree with me on the internet, going to even further extents of attacking me personally, and it’s the law of the land when you put yourself “out there”, to speak. it doesn’t justify the occurrence, but it doesn’t justify your efforts at reprisal. (especially considering he did not direct any venomous language at you personally.)

• Posted April 6, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Oh whatever, none of the racists I encountered felt sorry for me or anyone else they oppressed. I hope at least one of the supervisors who saw it happened to be a black person. I hope he is replaced by someone more egalitarian minded who is less likely to discriminate against non-white (and probably women) co workers on the job.

Perhaps the company does not care to have people using their email to express racist views on their behalf?

• Posted April 6, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

firstly, i’m also a minority who has likely been discriminated against a few times in my life, albeit never overtly. responding vitriolically to a man who expresses those viewpoints on the internet marginalizes the position you are coming from. it’s a petty form of reprisal. basically, even if he may get fired it also further absurdifies feminists and the feminist position as a bunch of hateful, vengeful radicals. discourse does not progress on those terms.

saying that “none of those racists ever felt sorry for you” casts logical argument out the window, and welcomes all arguments that are based on emotional lashing out (that’s how it’ll be perceived anyway). it gives people that are racists the ability to say, “well a black guy raped me so therefore i hate all black people”.

• Posted April 7, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Actually a white guy raped me, yet I don’t hate all white people. How hilarious that you compare me to a racist for expressing contempt of racists.

Your argument that reprisal “further absurdifies feminism” sounds like little more than the “we better be nice and not make waves, and then maybe they’ll start to like us better” passive nonsense that most women have been taught their whole lives. How many offensive and harassing remarks and other abusive behaviors are women and minorities expected to sit and take, in the hopes that oppressors will just one day come around?

Although I tend to roll my eyes at the demonization of things as “emotion based” in an increasingly sociopathic and narcissistic world(yes, racism and sexism anger me. So what? Better than not caring about it at all.) how’s this for a logical argument: If this guy had used company email to send these sorts of messages to a co-worker at this company, the prevailing logical and legal response would be “document it and report it to his supervisors”, would it not? That is precisely the actions I see Courtney has taken here. Is it somehow wrong for her to report it as well just because she is presumably not an employee of this company? Whatever consequences he faces for it stem from his decision to send that type of material from a company email in the first place.

• Posted April 6, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Sent from work email = representing the company. Forwarding it on was 100% fair because trollcrumpet had a choice to use a private email address and did not.

Use of company servers/identity in any form of harassment, regardless of the target or severity, is of material concern to supervisors. It is not absurd or petty, and if the author is reprimanded based on company policy, it will be clearly communicated that the content of the email is not what landed the author in trouble.

• Posted April 6, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

point being, it was unnecessary. if he expressed full support of her opinions, i don’t think she would have felt an urge to forward it to his supervisors. it’s possible to confabulate an ethical justification for her actions, but it was ultimately petty.

• Posted April 6, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Actually, by using his employer’s computer and email address, he crossed the line, particularly given that he sent out an email with hateful, racist language with his employer’s computer and email address. They need to know what their employee is doing – for all appearances in their name – before he emails a racist screed to someone who will take legal action.

I don’t know what ‘absurdifies’ means, but I can guess and I doubt that Mr. Quack was fired. I am a union rep and I regularly defend members who use the employer’s electronic communication devices for non-approved uses. If this is Mr. Quack’s first infraction, he’ll probably face some discipline and perhaps have a nanny put on his computer but I doubt he’ll be fired. Typically, you need to solicit a minor for sex over the internet on your work computer before they fire you right off the bat. Don’t ask me why I know that.

• Posted April 7, 2011 at 11:02 am | Permalink

I have to agree with you sofia. At first I really wanted to celebrate this in that, “Yeah! He got what was coming to him!” way, but the violation of privacy has to outweigh this kind of vicious feeling of triumph.

to general group:
      We can talk all we want about how he shouldn’t be emailing from his work email, but we have no idea where he’s doing this- it’s not necessarily on company time. And so, sure, it’s still their email and it’s wrong to use it for non-work purposes, but since when do we have license to enforce these things? And how just are we being if we only enforce it against people we don’t like? If an awesome feminist logged on and left a comment from their work email, would we all gleefully forward what she says to where she works? (No… we wouldn’t)

What I don’t like about this action is that it works to silence people, which I don’t think is a good thing no matter who the silenced are. It won’t just end with work email because many things are traceable if you work hard enough at it. When I login to sites using my twitter account and call people out for saying something that is racist or misogynist, I don’t think to worry that they will use my name to go to my twitter, figure out who I really am based on what I say, and try to get me in trouble for my beliefs. We don’t always have the luxury of working for a group that completely embodies and believes in our feminist values, so would we all be okay with random internet people emailing our supervisors?

And really things like this will only serve to keep people of opposing opinions from contacting and interacting with this site. The problem is that when people are silenced they don’t just disappear- we all know that, really. They’ll just get angry and take their commentary elsewhere, where they will be embraced instead of educated.

• Posted April 7, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

What “privacy” was violated exactly? He used his company email. Now I don’t know what company it was, how large it is, or what it stands for (because in her oh-so-egregious violation of privacy she did not post that information) but I think it may well be possible that whoever does run this company may not want people sending out such material on their email, thus implying that it may represent the views of this company.

6. Posted April 5, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

I do love reading hatemail and get a kick out of it, but sometimes your responses come off a little – no, very… – vengeful and vindictive. It’s one thing to call someone out on their -isms… but to try to get them fired because you don’t agree with them? That’s pretty juvenile, IMO. Not to mention, stooping to his level to try to “get back” at him… SMH.

• Posted April 6, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

You say “vengeful and vindictive” like those are bad things. See my response to the last person who cried a river for a racist.

• Posted April 7, 2011 at 11:17 am | Permalink

but vengeful and vindictive ARE bad things- those are part of the very definitions really- we can’t go around completely re-defining words just because we don’t want to be held accountable for the repercussions.

I have a longer comment above somewhere, but to add to my thoughts on this, ultimately what are we hoping for (even me, because I am at heart a revenge-lover) when we read that post? We’re hoping his boss goes and fires him or something. And that makes me very uncomfortable… what kind of feminist community wants to encourage/actively facilitate people getting fired for their beliefs or opinions?? As much as I might not like those opinions… this is a very shaky line to be walking. Very shaky.

• Posted April 7, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Where did I re-define any of those words? The only thing I challenged is the notion that they are always unequivocol bad things.

Again, see my second response to sofia above. What kind of feminist community would advocate just sitting and taking this kind of thing? Courtney did not hack his account, she did not publish his place of business or dig up his home address or advocate violence against him or anything else where all these “boo hoo you’re going too far and being MEEEN to the poor widdle wacist” arguments would hold water. Her means of handling it were completely legal and within her right.

• Posted April 7, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

“just because we don’t want to be held accountable for the repercussions. ”

I just caught how funny this is in light of what you’re trying to defend.

7. Posted April 6, 2011 at 5:16 am | Permalink

lolol @ Quack
    you’re pulling one on us, there is no way his name really is “Quack” that’s too perfect!

8. Posted April 6, 2011 at 5:18 am | Permalink

hey, wait! I wanted my screen name to show, not my real name!

I thought so hard about that nick too

9. Posted April 6, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Bob Quack should not be using his work email address to send out personal emails. It is quite a simple concept. Each message he sends out has his company associated with it. I think Courtney was in the right to let Quack’s supervisor know what he did.

Honestly, Quack isn’t likely to be fired. Nor did Courtney revel in her act and claim she wishes him terminated.

Wait, I am offended! I have a communication studies background and I’m a Major commie Pinko assfucked slut! It isn’t only sociologists who care :(

• Posted April 6, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

based on the tone of the article, i have to say the the writer did revel in her act by writing about it in a smug way. it implicates pride in her actions. as i said to someone above, if the guy had sent her a private e-mail agreeing with her, she wouldn’t have felt the need to forward it to his supervisors. but he didn’t, and so it was by nature, an act of reprisal.

• Posted April 6, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

I am a major pinko, socialist, pro-legalized pot, pro-gay marriage, feminist labour historian but I’m not an ass-fucked slut, just a regular slut. Do I get to join the club too or is ass-fuckery a requirement for admission. I have taken some sociology classes, if that helps.