Anti-Muslim Hate in Orange County

(You can find a list of some of the hate speech from this video here.)

This heartbreaking video was shot last month at a fundraiser for a Muslim relief group working to relieve homelessness and hunger and to support women’s shelters in the US — which some angry, ignorant people decided was exactly the right moment to express their Islamophobia. According to CAIR California, who put together the video, the protests sponsors included:

“We Surround Them OC 912” (a local Tea Party group), Rabbi David Eliezrie of Chabad – Yorba Linda, North Orange County Conservative Coalition, ACT! for America, and Pamela Geller (whose group “Stop the Islamization of America” has been designated as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center).

The protest is made more disturbing (if that’s even possible) by the participation of multiple elected officials. Villa Park Councilperson Deborah Pauly said she knows, “quite a few Marines who would be very happy to help these terrorists to an early meeting in paradise.” I know quite a few people who would call that a death threat. Congressman Ed Royce and Congressman Gary Miller both spoke, with Miller expressing how proud he was of the people shouting hate at charity supporters, who included families with small children. Yes, this act of hate speech was supported by members of the House of Representatives. And as Glenn Greenwald points out, this is part of an ongoing wave of anti-Muslim hate actively whipped up by politicians and members of the media.

You can contact Garry Miller here, Ed Royce here, and Deborah Pauly here.

1. Posted March 4, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Ugh. Ed Royce is, unfortunately, my representative. I will most certainly be contacting him. He is also a cosponsor of HR3, in case you need another reason to despise the man.

• Posted March 5, 2011 at 1:04 am | Permalink

Uggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh…..I got Kevin McCarthy here in California!!!! Hope your district votes him out in 2012. As an aside, during the 2010 election, I voted for a write-in candidate: Daria Morgendorffer

2. Posted March 4, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

This stuff just hurts my soul, and makes me ashamed for my country. That people spew this kind of hate and ignorance in the name of the United States…every now and then I begin to feel hopeless, and I ponder expatriation, and these people are the reason.

3. Posted March 4, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

No contact info for the rebbe?

4. Posted March 4, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

I had the eerie, sick feeling that was the Little Rock Nine happen all over again.

5. Posted March 4, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

I could hardly watch this video- it breaks my heart to think that this still happens. These people need a big injection of empathy, compassion, and understanding.

6. Posted March 4, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

This made me so sick to my stomach to watch. Tears of fury and sorrow welled up in my eyes. Fuck those ignorant people, I hope that karma treats them well.

7. Posted March 5, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

My feelings echo many of the posters thus far. It breaks my heart to see that people could be so opposed to a charity event to help the very community they are flooding with xenophobia, hatred, and misdirected anger.

It is a monumental injustice to every single muslim individual who is not a terrorist (undoubtedly a very very very high percentage) to have so many United States citizens lump them all into one radical enemy of “AMERICA.”

Endless bummer on our home front.

8. Posted March 7, 2011 at 3:39 am | Permalink

All I can think is what the hell. Above someone wrote “This stuff just hurts my soul, and makes me ashamed for my country.” I think it is clear that when things like this are allowed and people in power are not only supportive but participatory in this kind of organized verbal violence this is no longer “our” country. Time and time again, I feel a deeper divide between myself and this supposed “free nation.” If this is what freedom looks like, I’m not sure I’d like to be a part of it.