In the largest report on transgender discrimination to date, the National Center for Transgender Equality and the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force have released a massive report that shows just how stark the extent of discrimination, mistreatment and abuse is against the transgender community.
With over 6,400 participants, it’s the largest and most comprehensive report on transgender discrimination, next to the second largest study which included just 700 people. Some of the findings, via Care2:
- 41 percent of the more than 6,400 respondents reported having attempted suicide
- 90 percent said that they had been harassed or discriminated against
- Transgender people have double the rate of unemployment and compared to the general population
- They are four times more likely to live in extreme poverty, with a household income of less than $10,000 a year
- 47 percent said that they had experienced discriminary workplace treatment, like being fired or denied a promotion, because of their gender identity